Max/min image size in forum

(SketchUp Community Manager) #1

Can someone tell me what in/max image sizes can be posted in the forum ?

i.e. Do they really need be ~ 1500x1000 pixels (or more) ?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Any size is acceptable as long as it fits in the maximum upload limit, which is 10 megabytes.

Discourse will thumbnail the image and display the correct size for the post, and you can click through to view the larger image. So uploading a large image does not hurt anyone, only the proper size scaled to the post width is placed in the reply.

(You may eventually run out of disk space allocation if people are uploading 10 MB images every day, though. I’d recommend only uploading very large images when there is some legitimate need for people to click through and get the larger image for extreme detail, etc.)

I just adjusted my max image/attachment sizes up from the default 3072 to 4096. The field settings says I need to also adjust Nginx (or Apache) for the new setting to take effect.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but where is the Nginx file? I am on a DigitalOcean one-click installation.

(Kane York) #4

You no longer need to do that if the new size is under 10mb - that’s the new allowed upload size (large images get resized until they’re under 4096kb)

Awesome – thx very much.