Member's Twitter List Plugin

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’ve had an idea for a plugin for Discourse, but I wanted to get some feedback on the best way of approaching it before I get started.

I figured it would be a good idea of automatically add all members of the forum into a Twitter List. This could followed by members of the site, and have the widget of all tweets embedded into a page somewhere, etc…

At first I figured there could be a user field which lets you input your Twitter username, but I’m now thinking it might be better to hook into the Twitter OAuth stuff baked into Discourse (this way we know it’s actually their twitter account, for example).

This raises a few questions though:

• If someone has signed up via Twitter, how would I get access to their username?
  • If someone has signed up via another route, will they be able to add Twitter to their account?
  • When would be the best time to add new users to the list? At the point of sign up?
  • What do we do about all the members who are already registered via Twitter? Are we able to do a one-off scan upon installing the plugin to add them to the list?

This will be my first Discourse plugin (and I’ve only been doing Rails for about 2 months), so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.