Merge some of bookmarks and favorites interfaces

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Bookmarks and Favorites are just subsets of the same feature. At the end of the day they serve the same purpose: Help me keep tabs on the posts I take an interest in.

So I propose you unify the two a bit more, starting with the user profiles. How about cutting out “Favorites” in favor of a single “Bookmarks” tab?

Here’s a mockup of a combined view:

Post bookmarks with also-bookmarked thread parents would be displayed inline. Stand-alone post bookmarks would have a “In reply to:” prefix (at the very least). Thread bookmarks (i.e. favorites) would remain the same.

This also implies some rewording of the existing buttons, changing “Favorite” into “Bookmark Thread” with “Bookmark the entire thread” on hover for instance.

Favorite vs Like vs Bookmark
(Lee_Ars) #2

I agree, and this solves a semantic issue as well—“favorites” implies approval or approbation, and I think on some of the other Discourse forums that have sprung up, literal-minded graybeards have objected to that. “I don’t love the thread—just want to be able to come back to the thread later.”

“Bookmark” is a more semantically neutral phrase and also it’s a lot more descriptively accurate (verbally skeuomorphic?). Simply having the “star” favorite mark or the bookmark mark both at the topic level and at the post level would simplify things and unify two very close but oddly differentiated features.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Yes! I forgot to point that one out but that’s another reason why I wanted this changed. GitHub’s literal “Star” function similarly avoids unwanted implications.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Personally I think we should go for terminology parity with Google Chrome, cause lets face it, most users are using Chrome.

In Chrome clicking the star button means “bookmark”, hover over it, that is what it says and implies.

I think we should junk the “bookmark” glyph in favour of the “star” glyph throughout the topic, and amend http://meta.discourse.org/favorited to display all topics that are favorited or have a post favorited. (perhaps adding a sub-line to indicate which posts are favorited)

(Dave McClure) #5

Have to admit, this would make me a bit sad… apparently, I’ve somehow gained an emotional attachment to that bookmark icon.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I understand the line of thinking, but this has a serious problem in that “star” would become the default indicator of whether you have read a post or not.

As in, the un-filled star would mean “I have not read that post yet” just like what an un-filled bookmark means today. And when the star is filled in, it would mean “I have read this post” just like what a filled bookmark means today.

I have a huge problem with that.

I could see merging the functionality so favoriting a topic mechanically becomes the same as clicking bookmark on the first post – and clicking bookmark on the first post would similarly cause the favorite star to light up for the topic.

So I can support orthogonality of bookmark and favorite at the topic / first post level – nobody could argue that it makes sense to favorite a topic and bookmark the first post in the topic, too – but I don’t think it makes sense anywhere else.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Another problem I have with this is that there is value in having a semantically different “marking” mechanism for posts versus topics.

If I say

Show me a list of my favorites

You know I’m talking about topics. Which are coherent wholes. But if I say

Show me a list of my bookmarks

I’m talking about random posts in possibly a zillion different topics, or maybe all in the same topic?

I don’t really support a change here at all. I’ve never seen users on any actual Discourse forum complain about having “too many” ways to do this. And as I mentioned in the other topic, sometimes you really do need a few different ways to get things done to accommodate different ways of working by different people, etc.

I just don’t want this to be yet another “I cannot tolerate any atom of duplication in the entire omniverse” thing for programmers who have to see the world in black and white and ones and zeroes.

Annnnd that’s exactly my point. Bookmark the first post. Done.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

That’s a problem. He won’t realize that he wants to bookmark the thread until he’s close to or at the bottom. It’s annoying to have to jump up the page again, even if it just requires an extra click (though most won’t make that connection the first few times) it’s an unnecessarily convoluted workflow. Would be much handier to have a bookmark icon in place of that stare next to the title, making it immediately obvious what their connection is.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

I fully agree with that course of action except for the star part. As explained already, that would conflict with the read-status of posts. But by all means throw out /favorited/ in favor of a /bookmarks overview on the front page!

@codinghorror OK, the Favorites and Bookmarks tabs in the user profile won’t be merged. But it seems like we have a consensus when it comes to merging the favorites and bookmarks functionality into one. If that is to happen, three other tweaks would have to accompany this change:

1. Change the “Favorite” terminology to “Topic Bookmark” - Other suggestions?
  2. Make the current “Favorite” button say “Bookmark Topic” instead, which will bookmark the top post - that way you can do it from the bottom as well.
  3. Remove all stars and replace them with the Bookmark icon.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Sorry, don’t agree with any of those changes for reasons previously stated above.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #11

Ok, then how do you propose we make sense of this?

I could get on board with keeping the stars, but I don’t want it to say “Favorite”, it’s misleading.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

That, I agree with. It now says “starred”

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

As per this change, this topic has been resolved and can now be closed.

(Jeff Atwood) #14