Migrating from Lefora Forum?

import

(Victor Hooi) #1

Has anybody has any experiencing migrating from a Lefora forum to Discourse?

I had a look at the import scripts at:

Most of them seem based around where you have direct access to the other forum’s database.

However, Lefora is a hosted forum product, and you can’t directly access the database. I have heard rumours of a YAML export in forum boards, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the control panel. I’m going to chase this feature up with them (Lefora).

However, just curious if anybody else here has already successfully done a migration from Lefora to Discourse? Are you able to share any pointers/tips.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

As you said it is really contingent on getting the database export – see what you can chase up on that first.

(Victor Hooi) #3

Hi,

Aha, well, I just received a message from Lefora Support:

Hello, I’m not sure where you saw that but we do not offer downloads of your forum data. We back up your forum but we do not offer that for you to save.

Seems they don’t actually offer a YAML backup after all. That’s a bit annoying - it’s almost like they’re trying to lock you into their platform =(.

Hmm, I suppose scraping would be the next option?

Supposing you could do that, you could scrape the content, and write an importer script based on that?

(Mittineague) #4

Such are the “gotchas” of using a “free” site.

I’m confused you don’t have a way to back-up you stuffs.

User Terms and Conditions

1. Data Back-up. We are not responsible for backing up your data or any User Generated Content or other type of data attributed to your participation in forums or use of the Site. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE TO ASSUME THE SOLE RISK OF BACKING UP ALL USER GENERATED CONTENT THAT YOU CONTRIBUTE TO THE SITE AND EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT WE WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO LOST USER GENERATED CONTENT, WHETHER YOUR OWN OR THAT BELONGING TO THIRD PARTIES.

And IMHO you should talk to a Lawyer before you try to do any scraping

1. Usage Rules.
  2. Attempt to harvest, scrape, copy or otherwise collect information, User Generated Content or Content from the Site, to retrieve or index any portion of the Site or collect information about Company users for any purpose not expressly authorized by Company, including, without limitation, republishing the same on a third party website, either manually or through any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars, site search/retrieval application, intelligent agents or other device);