Mobile view scroll bar/slider broken on Android Chrome 56 and above

(ljpp) #1

I am suddenly getting user reports of the mobile view vertical slider/scroll bar not working on Android/Chrome.

• I am on stable version and no changes to visuals recently
  • Reporters say they can reproduce it here.

I am short on Android devices, so cant really say for sure yet. Apparently W10M Edge, iOS browsers and Firefox work.

Anyone seen similar?

Vertical Mobile Scroll Bar Post / Date Text

Yes - I have a Google Pixel XL and am having this problem on my site as well. I recently upgraded my phone and thought that maybe it was just the device (which had me researching on Google help forums). It’s not it. Complaints from my users are starting to come in.

(ljpp) #3

This one is confirmed on Chrome 56. Reproduced here and on the stable branch, so impacts:

• All sites
  • All users with Android/Chrome

Not reproduced with: Mobile Firefox, Edge or Safari.

Ping @staff

Do you mean this one?
I am using android and chrome 56 and working OK for me?

(ljpp) #6

There are multiple user reports from multiple sources that it is broken. Moving the slider may actually move the message thread. Reproduced here and elsewhere, yesterday.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Seems awfully unlikely as we have no other reports of it. I suspect it is a misunderstanding. I’ll test it myself on my Android devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7) in a bit.

(ljpp) #8

Reproed again here on my Nexus 7. May not happen on the 1st time you open the silder, but try it again if it happens to work.

Very easy to repro. It is not a misunderstanding, as the new slider has been online since January (1.7 release), but user reports started coming in yesterday.

Also @ezworldwide reproduced with his more recent Pixel XL.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

So you have to open the slider twice for this to happen? That should be in the first post. I’ll look for myself in a bit.

(ljpp) #10

Thank god I am not working as a test engineer anymore. Make a big discovery, get:

"Works for me"
Nitpicking

I had almost forgotten what it was like.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

No repro on Nexus 5 with Chrome 55. Let me try with Chrome 56.

I can only repro in Chrome 56 so something changed in Chrome Android here @sam.

(Felix Freiberger) #12

This is also reproducible in Chrome 56 on Windows in the desktop view, when using touch. It works fine using the mouse.

I’ve followed up with my users who complained.

They are all running Chrome 56 on their Android devices. They are also saying that when they highlight text and attempt to quote to reply, that the Chrome Copy/Share/Select All box pops up consistently before the discourse “quote” box pops up. When the discourse “quote” box pops up they can’t select it unless they tap a few times to dismiss the Chrome Copy/Share/Select All box.

I’m not a developer so I hope that explanation makes sense.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #14

I can repro issues on my Pixel XL, Chrome 56. Attempting to move the timeline scroll bar instead scrolls the topic behind it. It did affect me on first open of the timeline UI. Sometimes it would move to the correct topic, other times not. If I can get my hands on another phone this evening I’ll try and capture a video.

Edit: I can also duplicate the quoting issue - I needed to tap quote twice (on 6 attempts) and three times (1 attempt) before the composer opened.

(Lutz Biermann) #15

Repro the scrolling issue on meta with Samsung Galaxy S6 on Chrome 56.0.2924.87.

(Alan Tan) #16

Fixed in

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Mobile timeline is broken on Android Chrome?