Continuing the discussion from Brand new wide categories page
Things I think a Categories page should have:
- Recognizable name of category (ties in with how the category is shown elsewhere on the site).
- Number of new posts in the category since your last visit.
- Latest activity
- Category description
What I don’t think is necessary:
- (Latest) participants - This is only useful to me per thread. All you’re telling me here is "these people have posted something "
- Most recent topics - If there are more than 4 new topics you’re gonna want to enter the category anyhow.
- Basic topic stats - I guess I am a little interested, but these numbers are hard to process. I want a simpler indicator.
Some mockups, from newest to oldest
I’m quite fond of the idea of stealing GitHub’s first-glance activity indicator.