Mockups for a lighter "moved" notification

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I think the current “I moved a post” notifications, which are essentially slightly customized replies, take up too much space. I made two mockups to start brainstorming an alternative styling. (NOTE: Only the second moderation notice in each image has been altered).

In essence I’m suggesting you remove the gutter, as I only see it being relevant in edge cases, e.g. when you want to flag a move that you didn’t agree with. But then again, you can always just flag the new thread for that. As for being able to reply to move actions, that doesn’t even seem right at all.

Moderator action "posts" don't stand out enough
Discourse Development Contribution Guidelines
(Anton) #2
  1. Flagging a move is really an edge case, but opening a new thread to flag it does not look intuitive - because actually you are going to flag the move action, no the new thread itself. Thus on my opinion it may confuse and let people either asking “how can I disagree to the move” or just disagreeing in the thread itself (which is the simplest solution that comes up in my mind immediately).

2. Hm, yes, people may use “Reply” button to disagree with the move, which we do not want them to do. Other then that, I do not see how Reply is useful neither.

P.S. To me it looks okay in general and is not too overloaded.

P.P.S. Is there any difference between two screenshots you inserted in the topic?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

No – you should be able to like, bookmark, reply to, flag, and all the other things to a move message. A mod message is just a standard post, which is as it should be.

So you could reply:

Why did you move these posts? They were perfectly at home here!

Or you could flag:

Mod Joe made a huge mistake here! Please reconsider!

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

It slipped my mind back when I suggested this, but if you could unhide bookmark/like/etc. with one click, like how deleted posts are collapsed by default, I think compressed moderation notices could work really well.

Over the past year I can’t recall seeing many moderation notices that got liked, bookmarked or replied to. Dunno about flagging though.

(Kane York) #5

I think this, even if not exactly like in the OP, should be possible with CSS changes. If it’s not, what HTML changes are needed to support that layout?

I know there’s a forum that has a “compressed” style for all posts in the Chat topic.

(Sam Saffron) #6

(Sam Saffron) #7

(Sam Saffron) #8

I think we definitely want to get to a super compressed status message style at some point. We can get rid of the toolbar (and offer a button to expand if needed) and do a bunch more stuff … it definitely adds too much weight to the stream.

The above posts demonstrate this.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I agree with this, I’ve really enjoyed the auto-compression of deleted posts that @riking added and I think a similar compression of staff (yellow) posts in a topic – albeit with the text intact – would be great.

(Helmi) #10

I totally support making them smaller with an option to expand. maybe blending them in with a softer grey background could also help making them look not so “alerty” and scream so loud.

(Kane York) #11

I came up with a style to do this today:

.topic-post.moderator {
  .contents {
    margin-top: 0;
    display: flex;
    justify-content: space-between;
  }
  .cooked {
    margin-top: 4px;
    vertical-align: middle;
    width: 400px;
  }
  .post-menu-area {
    margin: 0;
  }
}

Summary:

• Margins are removed
  • Post contents and post actions are on the same row

There’s going to need to be a HTML change to be able to highlight the avatar as well while not including the gutter on the right.

(Someone needs to test this style in IE9/10… make sure it looks at least “passable” due to flexbox use)

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This is nice, I kind of feel all actions on a staff post should be behind maybe even including reply.

Also a glyph for the “action” e.g. lock / unlock instead of avatar would be better IMO.

(Régis Hanol) #13

What about languages where these sentences take more than 1 row?

(Sam Saffron) #14

I think we should just throw almost everything for mod messages.

Only include

1. body of message
  2. date of message
  3. an expand button to show full details and actions. (no icons, names, reply to, etc, unless expanded)

If we insist on showing name, one time is enough… no need for titles, long names, avatars

Also the bright yellow can probably be removed in place a grey background or something, the distinct visual style will be enough to make these messages pop out.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

I was thinking more like this:

Or like this… and reading @sam’s comment I think even more could be suppressed. Let me try again, here goes:

aha! Maybe with the glyph as the violator we could drop the yellow background! I know not everyone was a fan :wink:

(cpradio) #16

@codinghorror: Does the clicking of the “…” then show who performed the action? As I really want to know who closed it, who re-opened it, etc.

Granted, the message could be changed to “This topic was closed by …”

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Right now I am thinking more like this:

Showing title edit and category changes as replies
(Sam Saffron) #19

hmm we still need to display a ... for admins at least so it can be deleted (probably disallow editing)

(Michael Downey) #20

How would this work if staff wanted to add a comment to the closing message? (i.e. What would now be done with an “edit” of the post.)

(Jeff Atwood) #21

Maybe display it in small font underneath or something. It is fairly rare to add comments beyond the default close message.