Moderation of the entire forum

approval

(Paul Apostolos) #1

While we are working out some initial bugs, we would like to moderate all topics/posts to the forum.

Is this possible? I searched for “Moderate”, “How to moderate”, etc and couldn’t find the answer.

(Dave McClure) #2

A similar discussion was going on here yesterday

(Mittineague) #3

If by “Moderate” you mean what I call “monitor” (keep an eye on) what I’m doing is to Watch all Categories via my Preferences.

This works OK for our testing site but would be impractical for a more active live site.
For a more active site more than one pair of eyes would be needed.

As for “How”, Discourse has a lot of built-in limitations for “new members” i.e those more likely to be a problem, and it allows for members to Flag posts. So in large part, with any luck, the forum would have much Moderating done by the app and members themselves.

There is “System” which acts as a Moderator. eg. Notifies Mods of “sock puppets”.

And Moderators have the ability to
Recategorize Topics
Edit posts
Delete posts
PM members
Flag posts
Deactivate accounts
Suspend accounts
Delete accounts
Block new Registrations by IP, Username, and mail address
and probably more I’m not thinking of ATM

Currently the “block IP” interface is more developed and I’d like to see the Username and Email address pages have the same “whitelist”, “blacklist”, “remove” functionality it has, Especially for partial pattern matches in addition to exact matches.

(Paul Apostolos) #4

The issue is our users are all in mailing_list_mode, so they get notified of new topics and replies via email.

Some of them have out-of-office replies on (that’s a whole other bag of hammers) and are also replying to the whole group by replying to the message.

–Their old mailing list allowed them to reply to the individual or reply to the group using reply or reply all.

So, we want to try to catch some of that until they get educated or we develop some sort of fix.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Not currently possible to pre-moderate (aka “approve”) all posts at this time.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Pre approval of posts by new users is present in 1.3 beta and working.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #7

So just enable approve unless trust level and set it to TL3 or something?

What does approve post count, The amount of posts from a new user that must be approved mean?

If I set that to 500 then their first 500 posts would have to be approved? Is there a setting for “infinite”

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

I’ve been doing this for a year now by doctoring the approval level. Works fine, but of course, approval-only communities are quiet communities.

(Maurizio Marini) #9

Hello
still on moderation, I hope I am not wrong in posting here w/out opening a new thread.
I am on last version v1.7.0.beta10 +134
I would moderate the creation of new threads, and do not have it tied to trust level.
Instead, posting on existent threads is tied to trust levels, that are fine, great job, mates :slight_smile:
I dunno if this is even allowed in discourse, by design.
Please sorry my lameness and thanks for help