Moderator trying to better understand Discourse

(Barbie) #1

I’m the moderator of a forum that uses Discourse. I have been searching this site for a while to better understand the software and how to better help moderate the forum. I may not be using the correct search terms so if anyone could direct me to the appropriate threads that would be great.

The forum I moderate is a mental health forum and as such paranoia can sometimes be a concern regarding members posting from multiple accounts. I realize that the software tracks the same IP address being used within the same thread. Does it track the same IP address for multiple accounts? I have seen the software in action with respect to the first scenario however as time goes by I am noticing certain members posting from multiple accounts (on purpose). They use different email addresses but the IP is the same.

Ex: barbiegirl@hotmail.com IP XXXXX
barbiegirl@yahoo.com IP “”"""""""

Another system I am trying to understand is reputation. I know that how I respond to flags can affect not only the flagged member but the flagger as well. I don’t know if this is true for all levels. Meaning if a level 3 flags and I disagree then the level 3 flagger loses reputation? I think. Please confirm. If a level 2 flags does the same thing happen?

(TechnoBear) #2

Unless things have changed since we did extensive testing for our instance a few months back, the system will flag as “sock-puppets” if a new member at a given IP address posts and another new member at the same IP address replies. Once the members are beyond TL0, there is no flagging.

Not sure about your flagging/reputation question, though.

(Barbie) #3

Is there a way to search IP addresses? When I try it doesn’t work. So I end up having to take the extra step to try to find out if the member has multiple accounts. Searching part of the email address works which is how I know the user is using different email addresses yet the IP address is the same once I go into the account(s).

(cpradio) #4

Not that I know of. I know the data exists, but I don’t think it is searchable at this time. I too would find the ability to do so useful.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

@techapj can you make the user page search also search by IP Address if one is entered in the search box?

(Barbie) #6

TY @codinghorror. Can you point me in the right direction on my question regarding reputation and flagging?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

A valid flag on a post that a moderator explicitly agreed with in the last 6 months will prevent the user who authored that post from achieving trust level 3. That’s the only current consequence.

Flagging has no other effect on reputation or trust levels at this time, though that may change in the future.

(Barbie) #8

Thank you that is what I was wondering. I wasn’t sure if someone could lose reputation and go down a trust level after a lot of flags. Personally I think it’s not a bad idea :wink:

(cpradio) #9

TL 3 can… I believe if TL 3 receives more than 5 flags, they lose their Trust Level (don’t quote me on this).

(Dean Taylor) #10

The exact text is this from settings regarding TL3 and promotion:

User must not have had more than x posts flagged by x different users in the last 100 days to qualify for promotion to trust level 3, where x is this setting's value. (0 or higher)

The minimum number of days that a promotion to trust level 3 lasts before a user can be demoted back to trust level 2.

(Jeff Widman) #11

Is this available to all users or only mods/admins? I don’t think most users will want their IP address publicly tied to their username… fine with privately storing it for mods to take administrative action, but not random dude off the street.

(cpradio) #12

Yes, it is purely a mod/admin functionality

(Arpit Jalan) #13

This feature is now available in master :gift:

Please try it out! :smile:

(cpradio) #14

I’ll pull it down later tonight. :smile: Look forward to giving it a small test run on my Dev environment.

(Dave McClure) #15

@techAPJ does this work for moderators too? or just admins?

(cpradio) #16

Admin only :frowning:

(TechnoBear) #17

Oh, pook - we really need this for moderators.

(cpradio) #18

I know @zogstrip is going to lessen the email filter so moderators can do that again, can you do it for IP too?

(Arpit Jalan) #19

Okay, moderators can now search users by IP address too! :confetti_ball:

(TechnoBear) #20

Thank you.