Moderators can see admin-only categories

(Seventoes) #1

I like to have a category for admin-only things like todo lists and ‘tickets’ for other admins to take care of. It looks like even though I set the security on the ‘admins’ category to only be “admins can create/reply/see”, my moderators are still able to see the category and the posts in it.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Might be a terminology problem? Perhaps it should say “staff can create/reply/see?” @sam?

(Seventoes) #3

The “staff” group includes moderators though, right? I’m trying to make the category only visible to admins.

(John Mautari) #4

Have the exact same issue here.

(Seventoes) #5

So it’s looking like people who have been made moderator, no matter which other groups they’re in, are able to see all categories. In my forum, we have a group below moderators who can still moderate the forum, but who shouldn’t have access to either the “moderator” or “admin” category according to the permissions I’ve set up. They can see both of those :frowning:

Oh, and I should mention that upgrading to 0.9.6.2 didn’t fix this.

(Sam Saffron) #6

At the moment there is no concept of sandboxing an admins content from moderators. I will have a look at fixing this, it involves quite a few changes.

(John Mautari) #7

I would love to see some control about moderators tied to specific categories too. The way Discourse works a moderator can take action on all posts across the entire forum and even though it’s not a bad thing, for large forums it’s better to have separated moderators for specific categories where they own most knowledge.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Regarding “per-category moderation”

Yes, this is on our roadmap the team at Ubuntu also seem to want something along these lines. Keep in mind it is a big city problem. Before building sky scrapers we need to make sure our city has the citizens.

(Seventoes) #9

Cool, thanks for checking it out guys!

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Pretty sure this is fixed now since we removed most of the default see privileges from moderators recently.

(Jeff Atwood) #11