More buttons in editor

(zh99998) #1

discourse support bbcode to format posts, but some function are supported only by writing codes by hand. such as color, font size, emoji.

not everyone could write code. especially if my forum is not for hackers. just for normal people, newly to the internet. 90% of them don’t know how to make texts in red, or bigger, or send emoji.

it’s better to add some buttons in GUI editor.
font size color table emoji.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I would argue these sorts of users also do not know how to click buttons on the editor.

And adding more buttons would simply confuse them, hundreds of buttons? Which one do I push again?

That said we definitely need some kind of help link, somewhere, and a native help page for formatting. I think that would be more useful than a dozen more buttons…

(Mait) #3

Agreed. Too many buttons tend to become background images.

(Sebastien Rey) #4

Perhaps a popup with help can be a good idea to limit number of button, but give a rapid information to beginner ?
Something like this with helping content, markdown traduction : qTip2 - Pretty powerful tooltips - Demos ?

(Chandresh Joshi) #5

I will agree that more buttons will confuse user but if anyone wants to add what should be the way any help on coding

(Tobias Eigen) #6

One button I am missing is something akin to h2 - and I just realized that I can create headings here by using HTML elements wow.

this is h2 heading

FWIW, I like the way wordpress has a “kitchen sink” you can toggle on and off, and I also think the options they offer both on minimalist and on kitchen sink menus are pretty decent.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Use Markdown, it’s easier. See here:

(Yes, we should have some sort of native formatting help page in Discourse at some point.)

I am pretty violently opposed to more buttons in the editor, though. I want to get rid of “undo” and “redo”… I want to remove buttons from the editor, not add more.

(Tobias Eigen) #8

I’m with you - esp once there’s a native formatting help page in discourse. Perhaps there could be link to open up basic formatting help that sits open as you write (instead of the preview?) and can be closed again, with a link on it to “get even more markup help” on a separate page.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I like the way slack does this personally…

(Tobias Eigen) #10

Slack is nice - but for the nontechnical people we deal with, having it look like a wysiwyg editor with some basic formatting buttons and keyboard commands (eg cmd-b to bold text) is least scary, and adding asterisks and other codes will freak some people out. I’d even argue that the split screen with preview is confusing to people who’ve never seen it before.

I know there are many ways to do this so I guess it comes down to personal preference and user testing. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

(Tuan Anh Tran) #11

exactly. non-tech savvy people refuse to learn markdown even though it’s very simple

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Non-tech savvy people don’t use formatting in their posts, they just type and press enter… Which is fine. So they have no need of wysiwyg, it just adds needless Microsoft Word level complexity for them.

The toolbar buttons are there for those who do want formatting, though.