More visual feedback immediately after topnav clicks

(Dean Taylor) #1

More visual feedback please!

Currently many Discourse sites appear slow or perhaps slightly unresponsive to user actions.

For example if a user switches between Top and Categories there is a delay before loading indicator shows the first sign that something is happening.

The process should be:

1. Visual indicator to user to let them know their action will be attempted.
  2. Process the user action.
  3. Optionally let the user know data has been has been received.
  4. Render the update.

I say let the user know data has been received because currently there is a rendering delay on many devices.

There are many places this should occur and is not currently.

Even something as simple as GMail’s loading indicator would be a good start:

Sometimes performance improvements can be just about letting the user know something is actually happening.

Reporting new Slow Queries / Performance
(Sam Saffron) #2

Yeah I noticed this too, this is actually a bug not a ux thing, we should have consistency here.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This feels like a regression to me. Is it the large spinner CSS changes?

(Sam Saffron) #4

No, this has been the case for many months.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

So this is specific to topnav clicks? If so I am editing the title as this is a very badly named topic.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Yes, top nav clicks display loading indicators in an inconsistent way.

(Dean Taylor) #7

@codinghorror to me this is not just topnav links.

There are many places I see a delays where immediate visual feedback would be helpful.

Note in these examples even when there is a loading (spinner) indicator before the indicator is displayed there is a ~0.25 to 0.5 second delay after the click prior to the spinner being displayed.

##Here are a few examples
These have been captured at 25 FPS - all of these GIF’s combined are 3.75MB so you might need to wait for them to load to see the visuals correctly.

###Switching between categories

###Topic page jump

###About Page to Home page

###Switching between profile page sections

###Clicking between linked topics

(Dave McClure) #9

One more that bothers me still is the delay in feedback after clicking “New or Updated Topics” banner on the topic list.

(Dean Taylor) #10

@mcwumbly for completeness here is a capture of my experience of the “X new or updated topic(s)” banner.

###X new or updated topic(s)

(Dave McClure) #11

That’s an especially good example because its that ‘extensibility’ topic moving from the 2nd to bottom position to the top. Immediately after click, it disappears from the list, then eventually shows up.

In addition to getting some kind of loading spinner until the new order is ready to render, I think it’d be nicer if that movement took place in one step.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I believe @eviltrout added spinners everywhere now. Setting to auto close as complete, any others let us know!

(Dean Taylor) #13

@codinghorror although I haven’t checked them all this is a great big step forward. Visually helps a lot.

I think there is still a little more to do - but I would be happy to open more feedback as separate topics.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #14

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.