Move blog embed settings to category settings and allow embedding multiple discourse in multiple other sites?

(Tobias Eigen) #1

My organization has multiple blogs and I would like to embed discourse in more than one of them. Right now this appears to not be possible since only one blog can be configured for embedding in the admin settings. A solution for this would be to move the embedding options into the category settings and allow any category to be embeddable in a blog elsewhere. What do you think?

Discourse topics as Google Calendar events
(David Balderston) #2

I would love to see this functionality as well as we have multiple sites that we want to use discourse comments on, but do not want to have 4 different discourse instances running.

(Fabian A. Scherschel) #3

I’d love to see this too. I’m running a Discourse instance for my podcast network but I want to integrate my blog with it as well. In the meantime, is there a way to hack this together somehow?

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Well, the hack now is to have one rss feed to aggregate and import the posts, set it up to import to a catchall category that is invisible to all but admins, and then have admins move them manually to different owners and categories as needed. This works fine on my site but only because at the moment we only have a few posts a week and it’s basically one blog.

Down the pike I’d love to see the embed feature be moved to a tab in the category settings and to allow multiple blogs to be imported and categorized automagically.

(Fabian A. Scherschel) #5

Hmm. Thanks for the tip! I’d have to create a single RSS feeds with posts from two different blogging engines. That isn’t trivial. How do you handle the embed on the blog side of things?

Yeah, I second that. Very much!

(Khoa Nguyen) #6

@tobiaseigen I think this feature is available now.

(Tobias Eigen) #7

not sure what you mean - I checked the category settings and there’s no mention of embedding. The embedding seems to work the same as always on my site.

(Khoa Nguyen) #8

I’m using 2 wordpress blog and 1 discourse forum at comment system for both of them. I just need to fill API in Wordpress plugin setting

(Tobias Eigen) #9

Ah - that’s interesting, thanks for letting me know there is a solution for wordpress users. We don’t use wordpress on our site and use the blog embed code. There is no other way to do it for us right now it seems than the hack I described above.

Here is the post explaining how I did it:

(Khoa Nguyen) #10

I think in this case, you should use Discourse PHP API

With this php api, you can create new topic and retrive post with a valid API key

(James Sinclair) #11

Yeah, I’d really like to be able to set up multiple RSS feeds mapped to categories. The use case for me is building an intranet. I’d like to have one feed for events, and one feed for documents, and one feed for ‘pages’. If these mapped to separate categories, it would make much more sense for people.