Move "Reply as new topic" to Link pop-up

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

… most of all to make room for the custom scrollbar, but also because I think this might even make it more discoverable:

I don’t think I’ve had a single user take advantage of the “Reply as new topic” feature yet, which is a bit sad because imo it’s one of the coolest features of Discourse. My hypothesis is that by putting the “Reply as linked topic” action in the Link pop-up, users will become affiliated with this alternative way of replying to topics when they’re grabbing a link for a similar (or even that exact-) purpose.

(TechnoBear) #2

I don’t know how your forum is styled, but we (SitePoint) chose to have the “Reply as linked Topic” link visible at all times, rather than just on mouseover, and it is definitely used on our forum.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Interesting. Can you show me an example? I don’t think Reply as new topic is visible to a TL0 user.

(Kane York) #4

I don’t think this is correct. You reach for the share button when you want to give a link to the topic to someone else, not when you want to start typing.

(cpradio) #5

That remains true, but once they become TL 1, it becomes always present unlike the default of only showing it when the given post is has the mouse over it.

Any thread over at Sitepoint will show this behavior.

(Jeff Atwood) #6
  • This would be incredibly buried

• Makes the share / link dialog rather busy

As the intent of the link/share dialog is … sort of… to create links on remote websites, I can see the connection, but feels tenuous to me. Not sure this is the right place for it.

Reply as linked topic is definitely not used much. It’s often easier to just paste in links to other topics as you create a new topic, rather than triggering new topic on an existing conversation. The idea of branching conversations is excellent in theory, but … it’s just not used much. It might simply be a rare use case no matter how we slice it.

Not sure how to encourage its use, or if its use needs to be encouraged in the first place…

(Mittineague) #7

Maybe not most sites, but at SitePoint it is heavily used.
I guess mostly by Mods so there can be a Staff only discussion about a post.
And also to keep a discussion from drifting off-topic too far.
And occasionally to revive a topic where the discussion had gone stale and the original topic had been closed.

(Dave McClure) #8

You’re reminding me of this idea for making reply as new topic more discoverable:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/reply-as-new-topic-button-next-to-reply-button/7990/9?u=mcwumbly&source_topic_id=28637

(cpradio) #9

I’ve actually seen it used by actual members in the last month or two. Granted their reasons for usage varied, some were for beneficial purposes, others, more nefarious, but it was used.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #10

This has been implemented:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #11