Moving the N-replies counter / expansion closer to the Reply button

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Move heart and "X users liked this" to the left:

So here’s the suggestion:

As long as the buttons have default styling, I like it. But with an even more minimalist look, it kind of crumbles:

Without the button styling, there’s no clear relationship between the two.

Ideas?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I like it in theory, but I also think the replies button is kind of OK where it is now.

I agree that conceptually…

1. It shows you info at the right time of action (I’m about to reply! Someone hold me back!)

Hey before you reply did you know TWO people ALREADY replied to this? Maybe you should READ THOSE REPLIES before you reply?

2. It groups related things together

Hey, you’re gonna reply? Cool. Two replies already. This will make three.

Which I like, but on the other hand… well, see my first sentence.

I am far less bothered by the reply than the like situation at this point, since I am beginning to agree that having one extra line under every liked post does get monotonous over time, and the “like it too” isn’t necessarily needed.

Anyway we would not do any of this for 1.3.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Also one downside, for posts with no replies, it would shift the other buttons (like, link, flag, etc) over to the left, once there were replies.

That’s… kind of annoying.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Mjeh, it’s gonna require some more pondering. I’m also more invested in the hearts text – just wanted to split this off for future reference before it gets overshadowed by the parent discussion.

Will leave this to cool unless someone else got some fresh ideas to bounce around.

p.s.

[quote=“codinghorror, post:2, topic:28226”]
Anyway we would not do any of this for 1.3.
[/quote]I never assume we’re discussing changes for the next impending version, especially not during late beta.

(Dave McClure) #5

Having buttons shift around when there are non-contiguous replies is no good.

Also keep in mind the reply expander is not shown at all on mobile.