Mute all categories except x,y,z

Hi,

I am looking to deploy a multi-language forum and from what I’ve read around the best would be to have one category for every country/language, with sub categories for each.

Now, I want users to be able to mute everything else except their chosen countries that they want to follow. I’ve been trying doing this, but the only way I found is to write every category that I want to be muted in the ‘muted’ field.
Now, for a forum with around 80 categories, from which you only want to follow 2 in the Unread/New section, this is really far from ideal.

So, is there a way a user can specify only one category and exclude the others?

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I think you’ve hit upon several reasons that we don’t recommend going this route. We recommend different websites for different languages.

Furthermore, a mute in Discourse will not prevent the category or topics from appearing for you.

Thanks for replying so fast.
I am aware that muting won’t stop the category from being displayed, but it stops it from appearing in the ‘New’ section and that’s all I want.

About multiple sites, it’s not really an option, some users might be interested in joining different country communities, the use-case is not a language-segregation one, but more of a region/interest-based one.

Maybe the context would actually be useful: It’s a webgame that has country-specific competitions and also international ones. The current forums reflect this structure, with every country having their own space, but with a global space too.
It happens frequently that users from one country go and post in another country space, so I don’t want to have a big split here. But, most of the times, users only tend to follow a couple of countries where they actively participate.

Hence, the muted option would work really well, it’s just a matter of ease of use when setting it up.

Thanks!