I’m gonna post my honest opinion after using discourse for about 3 month using discourse
- Discourse lightweight and fast
- Active community support
- Good Looking UI/UX
- Realtime updates (notifications, etc)
- Statistic and tracking
- Mobile friendly
- Complicated installation, you must have several intermediate knowledge about server.
- Lack of toolbar
Unlike other forums, you have to type in special character like # ` or > and markdown code for specific format. So new user should take time to adapt.
- Programmer style - non friendly for forum user that clueless about computer
- So hard to edit or add layout to the forum (you need have intermediate knowledge of css and html)
- You can’t put directly files into the server such as .txt or .jpg to the main domain (like using FTP)
- Adding plugins need to restart (rebuild) and make the server down for a while
- Backup size too huge
- When you click something on toolbar you cant undo it (CTRL+Z)
- A few of profile page setting such as signature, etc.