Naming the subdomain Discourse runs on?

(Ernest Lee) #1

What does this forum think about naming your subdomains?

I can think of several and would like your thoughts. Got any suggestions?

Example:

(Kane York) #2

I think you should try to pick something something unique and creative for your community, instead of a generic ‘forum’.

Examples of this are

I’m not aware of many other good examples, just as I’m not aware of many Discourse sites with custom themes aside from the official partners. (Although OpenMRS does a nice job of feeling different with just their header.)

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

I’d say if you don’t have a strong brand, just go with forum.example.com. You don’t see many variations of the blog.example.com convention, which I like because there’s no question about where I’m at.

(Adam Capriola) #4

I went with something different than “forums” since I wanted my community to perceive Discourse as something different from our old /forums. I wanted a fresh start.

Also, I hate that autocomplete will show Facebook as a suggestion when an “F” is typed for a majority of users.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

I’ve been thinking about this for my site as well, and have not yet started asking my community what they’d like to call it. But from the start I called it discourse.kabissa.org just like I use the name of other apps as subdomauns e.g. redmine.kabissa.org, wiki.kabissa.org etc.

I decided so far to keep it at discourse.kabissa.org for the same reasons given by @AdamCapriola - I dislike the autocomplete for F going to facebook and want my site to be perceived as different than the usual forum. I also have bought into the idea of discourse being about a broader movement to encourage “civilized discussion” and like the idea that people might reflect on that as they even type in the URL to get to it.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

This is a good list, some other ideas

In general I tend to favor the shorter subdomains just out of simplicity. I have a suspicion that talk may imply a chat system for some folks though? I dunno.

I also like @riking’s examples of clever site-specific variations: