Continuing the discussion from Where is this development roadmap?:
With 1.0 done, I believe an official roadmap would be hugely beneficial. I’m just talking about a very basic page of “stuff that is being worked on right now or otherwise up in the air”.
No need for ETAs or explicit feature plans for each version. Those are inevitably subject to change anyhow.
The big questions on my mind are:
- Where is my input most wanted right now?
- What features are likely to arrive in the next, or the following, stable release?
- There’s been lots of talk about adding Tagger to core, or at least making it an official plugin and applying some changes to core to better accommodate it.
- Is it time to start working on an official plugin repository?
- … or perhaps a v1.0 plugin API and documentation should come first.
- Custom theming is in dire need of improvements imo. Basic styling & color scheme changes is in good shape, but custom, shareable themes are practically non-existent.
Example Roadmap(++) - WordPress
- v4.0 timeline
- v4.0 prospective features
- All core development updates, including for instance updates about features that have been in core for a long time already, but are still being developed further.
I’m quite fond of WordPress’ entire Make section, but that’s a broader discussion for another day.
At this point all I’m looking for is a “prospective features” thread.