New community soon, choosing the platform

As a start, I come from Engineering background, but not web development unfortunately. Now let’s begin.

Am about to start a new platform for our brand community, where they can talk, discuss and share photos (Gallery). I just joined recently, and soon we’ll have a discussion about which platform to use.

Developers already made some progress with the forum development, unfortunately, they used phpBB. Which i didn’t like, luckily it’s not launched yet, so i need an answer to the following questions to be able to convince them (Especially developers).

1- Is it as easy to customize Discourse as phpBB? I need reasons to convince them to use Discourse instead of phpBB
2- About the license, I’m not sure the company would like to share the code. Is it ok to do the customization to discourse without contributing to the core?
3- What languages are needed for development? Front and back end.
4- We’re going to develop an app as well. I guess i might find a way to let the company make it open source if possible. Any recommendations here?

(Robin Ward) #2

Your mileage may vary, but Discourse is pretty customizable! It depends what specific features you are looking for.

Yes, feel free to make your own private plugins and never let us know about them. We do love contributions though if you find bugs and want to give back to the community.

Ruby on Rails on the Server Side. Javascript (ES2015) and the Ember.js framework on the front end.

Read it: SIMPLICITY

You will LOVE discourse :wink:

(Mei) #4

I’ve just finished setting up my first Discourse forum. It is SO much prettier and the UI is truly built for humans. You will love it. Customizing is a breeze without needing to change core files. Support here in the forums is great.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

[quote=“Mytee, post:1, topic:36188”]
We’re going to develop an app as well. I guess i might find a way to let the company make it open source if possible. Any recommendations here?
[/quote]I don’t even know what the plan was here as far as phpBB is concerned. Scraping I guess? In any case, Discourse is much better equipped for this, since it has an API that your app can use to pull in any data you require.

(Quenten) #6

SEO is my lone reason. But I was pretty happy with everything else.

Thank you guys, hope this would be enough to convince them. Personally, I’m pretty convinced already.