People say that you should do 2 things before starting a forum.
- Wait until you have X visitors per day on your site/blog
- Wait until you have regular comments on you site/blog
Since Discourse combines site/blog comments with the forums, the above equation is difficult. I can’t have comments without launching Discourse first. If I allow normal WP comments at first, they’ll vanish when I launch Discourse. If I launch Discourse right away, the forums will feel empty with no users. Plus it might be a hurdle to be asked to register on empty forums to comment on the site/blog.
So, which option is the best?
- Don’t allow WP comments, don’t launch Discourse until you have X visitors/day
- Allow WP comments, but don’t launch Discourse until you have X visitors/day
- Launch Discourse right away