New Topic by Email fails, bad destination address

I have a gmail account test98341234@gmail.com being polled with pop3 for emails.

in my email settings I have the reply by email address field set to: test98341234+%{reply_key}@gmail.com

also in my emails settings i have alternative reply by email addresses set to: test98341234@gmail.com

after the emails are successfully polled into discourse, they get rejected with the bad destination address error.

This is listed as happening when

Happens when none of the email addresses in To/Cc/Bcc fields matched a configured incoming email address.

What did I do wrong here? the To field of the polled emails are all test98341234@gmail.com. where do I need to set this?

for sake of completeness to my question I will copy paste the logged error.

fomr 
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.2/lib/logster/logger.rb:110:in `report_to_store'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.2/lib/logster/logger.rb:101:in `add_with_opts'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/logster-2.3.2/lib/logster/logger.rb:52:in `add'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:534:in `warn'
/var/www/discourse/lib/email/processor.rb:136:in `log_email_process_failure'
/var/www/discourse/lib/email/processor.rb:26:in `rescue in process!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/email/processor.rb:17:in `process!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/email/processor.rb:14:in `process!'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/poll_mailbox.rb:27:in `process_popmail'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/poll_mailbox.rb:45:in `block (2 levels) in poll_pop3'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/net/pop.rb:666:in `each'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/net/pop.rb:666:in `each_mail'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/poll_mailbox.rb:44:in `block in poll_pop3'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/net/pop.rb:532:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/poll_mailbox.rb:43:in `poll_pop3'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/scheduled/poll_mailbox.rb:18:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rails_multisite-2.0.7/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:63:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:221:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:279:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_scheduler-0.12.1/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:86:in `process_queue'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_scheduler-0.12.1/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:36:in `block (2 levels) in initialize'

I just tried this again turning off all plugins related to emails. I’m rather stumped. any insights will be appreciated :thinking: