New User creation - allow autofill and autocomplete?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

I just had occasion to create a new account in our discourse based on email address and password

I was surprised that my browser (chrome 37 for the mac) didn’t auto-fill my name and email address.

I typed a password at random, fully expecting my password manager to offer to remember what that was, but it was not triggered.

Would something as simple as adding autocomplete="on" be enough to enhance this experience? (is it off/not specified on purpose?)

(Sam Saffron) #2

recategorizing as bug, we should have autocomplete working on email fields.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Did you validate it as a bug first? Eg can it be reproduced on try.discourse?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I see this happening with last pass which I use

(Jeff Atwood) #5

The original report was for the built-in browser autocomplete of password. That’s not what you are describing.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Something is funky.

On account creation we do not offer to remember the password you typed for account registration. (in Chrome)

After that when you eventually try to log in we offer to remember the user name and password. So the user experience kind of sucks :frowning:

Part of this seems to be ajaxiness of stuff and part of it is an id mismatch.

We should work through this, remembering passwords is hellish and making it any harder than it needs to be is no good.

I think the autocomplete concern is bogus though, have autocomplete off on email fields is a best practice.

(Sam Saffron) #7

@techAPJ fixed this!

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b3838c2c1c74748ac6c407c1b27dccd3393ffdc4

(Sam Saffron) #8