New user invitation (not file) failing for some users

(Nick Harrington) #1

I’ve checked all the settings from @AlChuck thread on Trying to invite a specific user and cannot but think my problem is not spam check related.

My new user reports the message:

“You can’t log in yet. We previously sent an activation email to you at janedoe@domain.com. Please follow the instructions in that email to activate your account. Click here to send the activation email again.”

With the hyperlink above pointing at http://magistrates.today which wouldn’t do anything surely.

If I attempt a re-invitation via + Send an Invite, discourse reports:

Sorry, we couldn’t invite that person. Perhaps they have already been invited? (Invites are rate limited)

I cannot find the user email address in Screened emails.
enable local logins is checked.
email domains blacklist has "mailinator"
levenshtein distance spammer emails = 2

I think both I and the user are stuck somehow once an invitation has gone wrong. How can I add this specific new users?

Nick

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sounds like a configuration error at your site? Clicking that link should re-send the user validation mail.

(Nick Harrington) #3

Thanks Jeff – any clues as to where we should look?

(Nick Harrington) #4

If it helps @codinghorror, @neil helped configure our discourse when we first started.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Oh right, sure, @neil can you have a quick look?

(Neil Lalonde) #6

Hi @nickjharrington! I was able to accept the invitation you sent me without a problem. Did a user with that email address already exist before you sent the invite? I can’t tell what happened. Can you grant me admin so I can look?

(Nick Harrington) #7

@neil your email was NOT in our system before the invitation, if that helps.
@neil < admin granted.

(Nick Harrington) #8

@neil Might be related. When I click my notification that you accepted the invitation, I’m linked to the 404 page: 404 Error | Magistrates.Today

(Neil Lalonde) #9

In the logs, I see a lot of users being deleted because: “Automatically deleted as abandoned, unactivated account”. I suspect that some people aren’t clicking the link in their invite emails soon enough and the accounts are automatically getting deleted.

I recommend increasing the purge unactivated users grace period days setting to a much larger value.

(Nick Harrington) #10

Thanks Neil,

I’ll extend this to a month and see if that improves things.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Hmm, maybe we’ll extend this setting in the defaults from 7 days to 14 days. Let me do that now.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

OK but how can that result in

• User being told “you can’t log in yet, we previously sent…”

• Re-invitation triggering “perhaps they have already been invited…”

Seems like we have a fundamental bug here, if the auto-removal is causing those UI issues

(Nick Harrington) #13

Jeff and @neil: I’ve updated to the latest Discourse (5b8817c) anyway. Is there an investigation and fix planned for this registration issue? I’ve still got some joining members in limbo.

(Neil Lalonde) #14

@nickjharrington I sent you a private message on your site. I need to have a look at the invites that are not working, so please send me email addresses in that pm.

(Neil Lalonde) #15

For reference, this was a case where they were not sent an invite. They signed up and needed to wait for manual approval.

(Jesse Casman) #16

@nickjharrington Were you ever able to resolve this? I’ve got a new invite that I’m trying to send out that’s getting the “Sorry, we couldn’t invite that person. Perhaps they have already been invited? (Invites are rate limited)” message. As far as I can tell, it’s a brand new user to the system.

– First time inviting them
– Enable local logins is checked (and other invites work)
– Email domains blacklist has “mailinator”
– Levenshtein distance spammer emails = 2
– Purge unactivated users grace period days = 14 (default setting)

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Any way to troubleshoot this @techapj? Can the error message be improved to provide a bit more “why” info?

(Jesse Casman) #18

Yes, a more informative error message would be appreciated. I don’t understand what “rate limited” is in this case, so it’s harder to troubleshoot.

(Arpit Jalan) #19

We recently improved Invite error message reporting so this should not be an issue anymore.

@jcasman Do let me know if you are still seeing ambiguous error message while inviting a user.

(Jesse Casman) #20

@techAPJ, thanks for the follow up message. I’ll see if I notice the improvements as I’m adding users over the next couple of weeks and respond then.