New user; my first post is gone

akismet

(Dan Dascalescu) #1

I’ve just joined here and made a suggestion to add a link to the Docker guide about configuring the attachment size.

Suddenly while looking at my own post, the page became empty. I can’t find my post via my profile. I’ve exported my posts, and the URL for that post leads to a page saying it doesn’t exist or is private.

What happened? Did I do something wrong? I don’t see any PMs from a moderator or anything.

(Kane York) #2

That topic was deleted.

Your post appears in the export so that you don’t lose any of your work writing the post.

The page blanking out sounds like a bug.

I’ve moved the topic to Meta because it’s about this forum (if someone disagrees, feel free to move it back!)

(Dan Dascalescu) #3

Shouldn’t there be a redirect after the move?

Anyway, can I please have a link to the new location? I wasn’t able to find it via search.

Also, may I suggest notifying the person of the move? Especially for new users. This incident (having a topic silently disappear without a trace) left a rather bad taste in the mouth. A simple “Hey, I’ve moved your topic to X” would’ve been great.

(Dan Dascalescu) #4

Wait, which topic did you move to Meta, this very one?

So my other topic, suggestion to improve the installation procedure and make changing the attachment size easy was just “deleted”?

Why? By whom?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Akismet did not like your post and considered it spam.

So it was auto-deleted. Hopefully it will learn not to fire off so many false positives here as we train it.

@eviltrout one problem with Akismet is that someone has to remember to manually check the queue… otherwise how would we even know this is happening? Seems like events or notifications should be generated here, somewhere.

Hmm. Should we just use the natural notification cycle, hide the post as if it was flagged as spam, then at least @dandv could have seen the PM and edited his post to unhide it.

(Kane York) #6

Sorry for the terse response @dandv, I thought that a human had looked at your post and decided it was bad! Akismet doing that doing that should definitely be fixed.

Changing the category of a topic doesn’t affect its URL! Click the edit history pencil on your post here to see what I did.

(Robin Ward) #7

I think using the existing flags interface would probably be better, although that is considerably more work to make the plugin interface extend that.

I suggest we should include it in the work for v1.3 to handle enqueuing of posts, as akismet posts will not be hidden when we do it that way. It would avoid doing the work twice.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yes we are deferring this work for now as it gets into other complex bits. For now think of it as your email spam folder. You gotta remember to check there every so often, otherwise who knows what was actually misclassified…

(Jeff Atwood) #9

The Akismet plugin will now PM users when their posts are removed, so there is no confusion.