New users and link posting

(Vincent) #1

Hi!

When someone registers an account and proceeds to posting a link (<-- that is standard behaviour in our community), their first post always needs to be approved.

Here are my trust level settings:

Any idea?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sorry, what are you reporting here? Are new users rapidly pasting in a full post and being considered spammers?

(Vincent) #4

That might be the reason why I need to manually approve their first post, yes. Is there a way to know for sure?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

New users who paste in a whole post are considered HIGHLY suspect by Discourse. That’s how spammers work.

(Vincent) #6

I understand.

Will adding youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp etc. in the white listed spam host domains setting prevent this from happening?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I suggest you require new users to type in a sentence about themselves, or something similar. Having new users paste in content as their first post, and explicitly allowing that via your site settings, means you will make your site extremely vulnerable to spammers in the future.

Other than that you could switch your site to login-required, if it is not already.

(Vincent) #8

Well I’ll go with the whitelist solution while we think about a way to welcome new users without it being overwheling.

While I kind of like the idea of an invite-only board (this had been thought about), our site is strongly used anonymously.

Thanks for answering!

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Whitelist won’t help you. This is about rapid pasting in of content as a new user.

Like I said, you should get the user to actually write something in their first post.

(Vincent) #10

For the record, this setting was it: min first post typing time

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Just a warning, turning that off entirely opens the door to many spammers.

(Vincent) #12

Sure, but they still have to go though subscription, and no bot seem to have managed to do that so far on my board…