New users welcome message when using SSO

(RedBlue) #1

Hi,

We’ve just noticed an issue with new users when using SSO. The PM ‘welcome message’ is sent, but they don’t have a notification (ie, a ‘1’ above notification) when they arrive back on site from signing in. It basically means they never read the welcome message.

Regards,

(RedBlue) #2

Just to add more information as we’ve been testing this some more. It looks like this is inconstant, sometime the ‘1’ does appear, sometimes not. Also, the welcome email is never sent (nothing in the logs either).

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Email is a function of activity on the site, e.g. by default we try not to email you if you are currently browsing the site. But the rest is definitely an issue.

(Yeonho Yoon) #4

@codinghorror Experiencing same issue here after enabling SSO. Any updates?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I am not 100% clear if the welcome pm even makes sense in a SSO environment. Does it?

(Yeonho Yoon) #6

Welcome message is used to educate users on how to use the forum, so it is necessary.

Send welcome message to imported/migrated users
(Yeonho Yoon) #7

Can’t say the issue is critical, as the notification shows after user navigates to profile page, or clicks the notification button. i.e. he/she will be reading it sooner or later.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

@techapj could you try to repro this? Try on any current SSO site of recent version.

(Arpit Jalan) #9

I just signed up on an SSO enabled instance.

I can see the PM notification as soon as visiting the instance after signing up.

(Tobias Eigen) #10

We are facing this issue now - as soon as new users sign up on our site, we’d like to send out the welcome message to our online community via discourse. This is important because we want to be able to follow up in the discourse way. I still remember how chuffed I was when @codinghorror personally welcomed me to meta and I want the same to happen on our site!

Unfortunately the PM is not sent out by email because the user is logged in already. Of course they don’t know that because so far they’ve only been on the WordPress site.

The workaround at the moment is that we have WordPress (the Gravity forms plugin, actually) send out the welcome email and an identical PM is then also awaiting the new user in Discourse. This might work. But at the moment it sends out the email too soon - it does not wait for the activation of the user which is what would happen if we had discourse send out the email.

There may be a workaround for this as well but our preference would be to just send out the email from discourse. Honestly I think the welcome PM is an important enough communication that it should go out by email always, to every user!

(pjv) #11

As another datapoint, I agree with @tobiaseigen.

I am admin of a wordpress site with several thousand fairly active users. We are about to migrate from using the standard WP comment engine to using Discourse. In the end, we’re confident that Discourse is going to be a vastly better discussion platform than WP comments, but the transition is certainly going to be disruptive and confusing to people who are used to what they are used to.

We are going to use WP as the SSO provider so that our existing users do not have to create a separate account in Discourse. For our purposes, to smooth the transition for our existing users, it would be a giant plus to have an option that is something like “Always send welcome message by email on new account creation.”

That might not be best for everyone, but we think it would be best for us and it seems like there are others with the same use-case argument. How hard would it be to implement that option and behavior?

(Adam Capriola) #12

You can (pretty much) do this by disabling the welcome message through Settings and then sending the message with an API call. It’s a little tricky to configure properly but it’s doable. Gotta send the message when the user is on a WP page after the SSO iframe/embed is gone.

(pjv) #13

Thanks @AdamCapriola, I’m glad you mentioned that. I assume you are referring to the iframe/embed technique you detailed in your WP integration post to get automatic logins in Discourse when a user logs in to WP.

Unfortunately, so far, I can’t get that to work at all on my site. I’ll put the details into a reply on that topic.

(Sam Saffron) #14

We could never repro this and we now have the welcome bot so I feel most of this is obsolete anyway.

Closing.

(Sam Saffron) #15