Nice Android app

(Adam Beers) #1

I’ve created a good Android app for Discourse. If anyone wants to help test it, please let me know.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you describe what the goal of the app is? What does it do, how does it work?

(Adam Beers) #3

The goal of the app is to allow a user to user an app on their mobile device instead of a browser. A lot of people prefer apps over the browser. I’ve created it for a Discourse forum created and hosted on a private server. It allows for monetization of the app as well as a custom UI and experience. It allows a user to create an account, create topics and reply to topics. It allows a user to like topics also. The purpose of the forum that was created was to provide a safe place for discussion of questions and topics of a certain theme. The user can change avatars and search for topics as well. It is targeted for a first release at the end of the month.

You might be interested to know that Discourse is already working on an Android app: Beta testing the Android mobile app

(Adam Beers) #5

I know they are working on it. I’ve looked at the source code. It uses third party libraries that I’m not familiar with and I couldn’t find much documentation on the Internet about them. Not a “standard” Android app. I asked for help understanding it once, but didn’t get any help. I’ve been doing Android apps for about 10 years, so I know what I’m looking at and talking about, but their app is totally foreign.

Woah. I didn’t say that their app was better or worse, and I’m not involved in its creation at all. I didn’t say you didn’t know what you’re talking about. I just thought it might be interesting to you.

(Adam Beers) #7

KevinWorkman, I didn’t mean anything by it. Just that I’ve seen the code and it’s totally foreign and my previous attempts for explanation/understanding went unanswered. Sorry for the “tone” in my typing. It wasn’t intentional. :slight_smile:

(Tom Newsom) #8

Very interesting indeed :slight_smile: How does it handle notifications?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #9

It’s a react native app, that can be built for iOS and Android

(Adam Beers) #10

Notifications are in the planning stages still. One option that has been talked about is using Google Cloud Messaging to handle them.