Nice share counting visits from within the forum?

pr-welcome

(Dave McClure) #1

I have 3 nice share badges for topics I don’t recall sharing.

@sam are you sure this isn’t counting visits from links “shared” within other topics on the same forum (like the one below)?

Confused about the "Nice Share" badge
Good Share badge from splitting topics?
(Sam Saffron) #2

This is a complicated pickle,

If we require referer then it makes the badge much harder to get and we may be removing valid hits.

I think the best thing we can do is strip off the user_id param from every link you post in baked markdown.

Confused about the "Nice Share" badge
(Jeff Atwood) #3

We should do this anyway, I find the user_id part annoying in local links (it is fine in external links).

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Is this more viable under the new commonmark engine @sam? I think it would be cleaner.

(Sam Saffron) #5

It is easy to do this for [test](http://test.com) style links, but for <a href>test</a> it is a bit more involved.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Maybe just do the easy one first and worry about the rest later?

(Tobias Eigen) #7

I have been suspecting this for years and find that I get alot of sharing badge notifications here on meta, even though I don’t often link to meta from elsewhere. The badges are most probably coming from people clicking my links in meta posts to other meta posts.

Given that fixing this seems to be hard, there is water under the bridge and sharing within a forum is also valuable, maybe an easier answer would be to simply change the definition of the positive behavior that this badge is celebrating. A new badge could be created later to address external sharing if a way is found to exclude visits from within the forum.