No notifcation on @mention in a private message when set to tracking

(Dave McClure) #1

You receive a notification for replies, but not for mentions when a PM is set to tracking

1. create PM from test account (alice) to your account (bob)
  2. as bob open PM and set watch status to "Tracking"
    Description says:
    You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post
  3. as bob, add a reply
  4. as alice account, reply to bob
    OK, this works, notification shows up in upper right for bob
  5. as alice, add a post to PM and mention @bob
    Expected: notification shows up in upper right for bob
    Observed: no notification shows up :arrow_backward: ** this is the bug**

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Er… what? Can you make up names for these users so it is more clear? Also what is EB and OB?

(Dave McClure) #3

hope that’s more clear now

(Sam Saffron) #4

this is super subtle, I follow, a bit edge casey but will get to it.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Much better thank you. So the bug is if you mention a @user in the PM reply to that user, then notification is suppressed.

Well why didn’t you just say that? :slight_smile:

(Dave McClure) #6

actually, in the above example if the reply were to one of bob’s posts, he’d be notified whether he’s mentioned or not. he’s not notified in step 5 because the reply is to one of alice’s own posts. but he should be notified because alice mentioned bob.

the necessary conditions to reproduce are:

• status is set to tracking (not watching, which it is by default)
  • reply is to some other user (like the OP)
  • user is mentioned

@sam Perhaps edge-casey, yes. But the scenario I was testing is this:

• group PM created by customer to support
  • support expands to bob, candice and dave
  • bob responds to customer
  • customer responds to bob
  • repeat 10 times (did you check this? yes. can you send this log? here it is. etc etc)
  • candice and dave get sick of getting notifications on this issue, so they set the PM to tracking
  • bob needs dave's help so he mentions dave in his 10th reply to customer
  • :frowning: dave doesn’t here this call for help

(Mittineague) #7

We’ve noticed at our site that for Flag PMs, the OP gets a notification, but @ mentions don’t send notifications to those mentioned unless they’re first Invited (which sends a notification).
Seems like acceptable behavior to me as they are Private after all.

(We’ve also noticed that the Invite seems buggy and just today a Flagged PM sent notifications that can’t be found, but those are for another topic.)

(Jeff Atwood) #10

This is kind of bad right now, if you add someone to a PM after it has been created, their default notification state for the topic is tracking and not watching.

(TechnoBear) #11

Has there been a change to this? It now appears that there are no notifications sent for @mentions in a PM at all.

This is a particular problem for flag PMs, where we (the moderators) may want to alert an Admin to the discussion. Even Admins who are included in the #moderators tag for the flag PM don’t receive notifications. And further testing today seems to suggest that no notifications are being sent for @mentions in PMs of any kind - even the initiator mentioning the recipient.

(cpradio) #12

As an FYI, I don’t get notified of mentions in PMs even when the topic/PM is set to Watching.

(TechnoBear) #13

Sorry - yes. That’s what I meant by my first paragraph, but it wasn’t very clear.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Hmm we should check this. Can you take a look at it Monday @eviltrout ?

(Robin Ward) #15

Looks like I messed this up earlier in the release. We had issues where people were mentioning people not in PMs so my fix was to not do mentions in PMs. The proper fix, which I’ve just committed, is to only mention those who can see the PM:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/ee129edf250f0382e0541aaac40aa113e3530a42

(Jeff Atwood) #16