No room for replies on Android in horizontal position?

Hi there,

My Discourse site is new and so are my users, but I think I have a legitimate bug report. A user posted this screenshot from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Android 4.3, stock browser version 1.5:

(As you can see, he’s still pretty impressed with Discourse despite the issue. :wink:)

The bug report came in while I was running Discourse 1.2.0.beta3, and I just now updated to beta4, but I doubt anything has changed in the layout engine?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

What do you mean by “stock browser”? What version of WebKit is it, sometimes older devices can ship ancient stock browsers.

The default Android browser, “Internet” icon, not Firefox or Chrome. He says it’s at version 1.5, not sure about the WebKit version. I imagine it’s the standard version that comes with Samsung Android 4.3 systems. Where can he find that information?

(Sample Test) #4

Actually this is correct, I can repro on Android 5 with Chrome on a Nexus 5. The viewport is just that small in landscape between the top nav bar and the keyboard, when replying!

Nothing to do but rotate the device?

I think the most confusing element here is the Cancel link overlaid on top of the edit box. Would it be possible to make it move down below the Reply button when space is super reduced?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Does it matter? There are like 50px of space to work with, due to all the extraneous toolbars and autocomplete areas and UI cruft. Whatever you do, it is gonna be bad.

Might be better to focus on Android config options that create more space. Why does the URL bar need to be visible in the browser at that time, for example? Can the autocomplete bar be suppressed?

Or just rotate the device…

Yeah I agree that horizontal editing on Android is a total disaster.

So not a bug I guess.

Well there is a full-screen keyboard for exactly this reason available in Android, or using Swiftkey or other keyboards at least:

(Kane York) #9

Yes, but there doesn’t seem to be any to trigger that view from the browser :frowning:

(Filip) #10

Although this is annoying:

I can just rotate it…

The Discourse bar should always dissappear though, here’s my s3 with custom dpi:

(Filip) #12

Mine was on my Moto G :confused: yours looks a lot more spacious

(Jeff Atwood) #13

I measured it, looks like about 1195 x 155 px

(Eric Nondahl) #14

Any update on this layout issue? We also noticed this on our new discourse integration that we are working on.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Not much can be done there, when there is about 50px of height to work with? :wink:

(Eric Nondahl) #16

It seems like there is some horizontal room that could be used. The input box could be less wide, extra actions hidden, and the Reply / cancel actions moved inline so that they are on the right side of the box.

I’ve attached a quick wireframe of a layout that would (probably?) be a better experience in this case:

For more context about why this can be important - we are opening Discourse from a landscape game, so our Android players will end up at an interface that looks something like the screenshot above by default.

Thanks for considering :slight_smile:

(Jeff Wong) #17

I’ll make another suggestion to just display the selected textarea input when your real estate is that small.

Select text area, input keyboard pops open, and user only views 50px of textarea. On back button press, the keyboard drops andthe user get the full edit panel again – to select category, tags, upload, or switch from typing a title into typing the content. This would be ‘best effort’ and be ideal for creating both replies and new posts.

(That said, I don’t know why you’d even want to post on horizontal mode. 50px is not a whole lot of space to play with.)

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Or you could… y’know… rotate your device.

Crazy talk, I know.

(Kane York) #19

In this case, I’d suggest getting a better keyboard that doesn’t shrink the screen down to absurd sizes.

The new version of Google’s Android Keyboard can get smaller.

(Sam Saffron) #20

The height of composer needs a sane min height, we got to fix that