Non-intuitive topic positioning in /top/monthly page - a real example

(Anton) #1

I’m not sure what and how is considered when ranging topics in the /top page, but this case looks really weird for all mods, who watch the list regularly.

We’re running a contest where the top topic of the month wins. However, people who participate are already unhappy about the ranging and they all think the topic #3 must be currently at the top. We, admins and mods, think the same.

Please could you take a look, what might be moving the topic #3 below and keeping the other one at the top?

It might be that investigating this case might help to introduce more factors in ranging that were not considered yet.

(Mittineague) #2

There are other factors at play "behind the scenes"
How old is the topic?
How many Likes did the OP get?
How many Likes did the topic get?
etc.

The algo was posted recently but I can’t find it again ATM and about off to sleep

(Anton) #3

Is the creation date is really important?

What is the OP?

(Joe Seyfried) #4

Original Poster. The person who started the topic.

(cpradio) #5

Found it

(Jeff Atwood) #6

You need to talk to @sam about this, who has insisted for months that likes on the first post are so incredibly important that they need to have extreme effect on the /top sorting. That’s likely what you are seeing here – likes on first post pushing things far up, beyond what they would normally be.

You can also look at my topic here

I do agree that just because a topic has a lot of replies doesn’t necessarily make it a “top” topic, e.g. random chat topics where there are thousands of meaningless replies.