Not possible to delete specific default topics

(Zsolt Ero) #1

I’ve set up a tiny discourse just for internal discussions (Docker on DO). I would like to remove most topics/categories to make it a minimalistic forum. My problem is that it seems that some default topics behave differently compared to others.

My actual problem is the following:
The default topic: “Privacy Policy” does not allow deleting. Actually it even has a bug: if I select all posts and click delete all, it tells me to un-delete topic. However when I refresh I still see everything visible there.

The other topic: “READ ME FIRST: Admin Quick Start Guide” does allow deleting.

I found no reference what is the difference between these topics. Can you tell me what it is and how can I fix it?

Reference:
Welcome to Discourse - allows
READ ME FIRST: Admin Quick Start Guide - allows
Privacy Policy - not
Assets for the site design - allows
FAQ/Guidelines - not
Terms of Service - not
About the Staff category - not (I understand why this one is special)

(Marco) #2

I wouldn’t advice to delete any of them. The non deletable are referenced in different places, you would break the forum if you delete them. Keep them all.

(Sam Saffron) #3

This is not a bug, its completely by design, if you delete those topics you will break this:

and other spots that link to them.

(Zsolt Ero) #4

OK, I think I get it, but it’s a really weird design decision.

1. The FAQ is in the Staff category by default, which should be hidden from normal visitors, shouldn’t it? So why are we all linking to it?
  2. These are not real topic then, as only the first post is included. Then why not use the same system as the email templates? Making a non-deletable topic in the staff category and displaying only the first post in different places feels really hacky for me. I’d recommend moving these 3 posts to the same place where the mail templates are in admin.
  3. What does admin / legal / faq url do then?
  4. There is absolutely no visual feedback to say that these topics are un-deletable.
  5. I think it limits Discourse in a way. I don’t see why would Discourse “require” to be used in a very particular way which requires explaining all those things to the “public”. As it is the best forum software right now, I think it makes perfect sense to just spin a Discourse instance for internal discussion, or even as a personal note taking / to-do system. Design decisions like this makes it a bit painful for non-trivial use-cases.

(Sam Saffron) #5

I think you are totally overreacting here.

I just don’t understand why it matters you so much that there are 4 ancient topics that you don’t touch as an admin.

you can see the rest of the stuff here: Terms of Service - Discourse Meta etc…

They used to be in admin, making them topics gives us history and a bunch of other features for free.

(Zsolt Ero) #6

I just wanted to raise the point that it feels very strange to me that there are a couple of topics which behave in a very strange way. Since I am just setting up Discourse and those were the first few topics and I couldn’t delete them, I spent quite a long time Googling why I cannot delete topics and what is wrong with my installation. I went through all the post and topic settings and all the admin panel and I still couldn’t find out why I cannot delete topics. It was only here that I’ve learned that those topics are special but without any kind of visual feedback or warning message about it.

You are totally right that it’s a tiny issue, but it does annoy people who prefer a minimalistic, clean forum.

(Sam Saffron) #7

I am fine to communicate this better, I think we can leave the delete button and just explain properly why you can not delete them when you try.