Notifications not clearing properly unless visited from menu

(TechnoBear) #1

New notifications in the notification menu show blue until visited, but the behaviour is erratic and sometimes they will only clear if the menu link itself is followed, not if the topic has been visited by another rouite. This occurs both here and on our own site, but the behaviour is inconsistent/intermittent and I can’t find a reliable way to reproduce it.

This is an issue because the notification menu is not easy to use by keyboard. The shortcut which opens it does not give focus, so links can only be accessed by tabbing through from the top each time. I generally use j/k navigation to move through new/updated topics and just check the dropdown periodically to ensure I haven’t missed anything. The fact that sometimes the blue highlighting clears and sometimes it doesn’t just makes this confusing and unreliable.

Duplicate notifications with pencil and reply arrow?
Not cleaned messages that I have seen
(Sam Saffron) #2

Are you able to repro this on meta? If so leave one of these “unclearable without click” messages in your notifications and let me know.

When the blue circle in top left fades away so should the blue highlight from the notifications menu.

(TechnoBear) #3

OK, @sam. Just now, I visited the top link from the notifications menu. I then used j/k to visit first this topic, then the other two. Then I used u to return here. All three topics are still showing as unread - even though two have now been visited twice.

(Sam Saffron) #4

On refresh does the blue background go away ?

(TechnoBear) #5

It had cleared when I returned, so I’ll need to wait for another bunch of notifications to test. :slight_smile:

(TechnoBear) #6

Yes, it does. :smile:

Strange behaviour of emoticons in character count
(Jens Maier) #7

I have a similar issue with notifications related to moved posts:

Clicking the links clears the blue background, but a refresh of the page brings it back.

Moved post notification not dismissing when clicked
(Sam Saffron) #8

Ok the issue then is that we should be updating the notifications based on the “you just read this” message, we can sort this out.

(TechnoBear) #9

Any progress on this? It’s not a major issue, but it’s really irritating.

(Mittineague) #10

You’re using Firefox or Chromium?

It happens to me (using Firefox) on rare occasion, but not very often.

I notice at times the pop-up Notifications (the browser notifications, not the bubble menu) seem to “batch up”. And sometimes I’ll get a notification that looks SPAMmy but when I click it has already been dealt with and I get the “doesn’t exist or private” page.

I haven’t been able to figure out any clear pattern, but my best guess is it’s something to do with timing code.

(TechnoBear) #11

Happens all the time, both here and on SitePoint, using Firefox 38 on Ubuntu Gnome 15.04.

(Mittineague) #12

Hmmm, I imagine I have some of the same, if not more, extensions and plugins installed.

Maybe Settings? AFAIK it wouldn’t matter, but have you enabled “Do Not Track”?
I don’t see how you could be, but you’re not in “Private” mode are you?

(TechnoBear) #13

When I say “all the time” I mean frequently - on a daily basis. But it doesn’t seem to happen with every link, which is even more confusing.

I generally visit one “unread”, then use j/k to navigate through the rest of my unreads, and any obvious “new” topics in categories I’m watching. Then I check the notifications to see what I’ve missed, and at that point have to work out which ones I’ve really missed, and which have just not cleared.

And no, I’m not in “Private” mode.

(Mittineague) #14

That’s essentially my flow as well except I mouse instead of keyboard.

Hmm, I’ll pay more attention, but I’m wondering if a “page” needs to hit bottom before the notification menu gets cleared. eg. if the unread post is short not requiring a scroll vs. a longer post / more posts that does / do

(TechnoBear) #15

But mostly I do go right to the bottom - or at least as far as the next “unread” in the suggested links. Beyond the bottom of the last post, at any rate.

(Mittineague) #16

I tried just now with this one purposely not scrolling at all and it cleared fine.

Most perplexing.

Next I’ll pay closer attention to the little blue read-state dots

(Jeff Atwood) #17

I actually see this all the time, if I have multiple notifications from the same topic; simply scrolling past the notified post will not clear it from notifications, I have to explicitly visit the notification for it to show as cleared cc: @sam

(Alan Tan) #18

Findings 1

If you click on a notification, it removes the highlight and redirects you to the page. However, it technically does not mark the notification as read until you actually read the post which is determined by our ScreenTracker. It can be confusing if you see the highlight as cleared once you click on it but if you somehow didn’t read the post, the notification will be highlighted again when the page is refreshed.

Findings 2

With regards to the bug in this topic, I cannot reproduce it at all in development no matter what I try. Instead I traced through the code base to see if anything might be amiss and the only thing I found was that we’re not publishing the changes to the client once the related post has been read. This would have resulted in some delay.

(Sam Saffron) #19

Pretty sure this is fixed now @cpradio care to confirm

Likes definitely work properly

(cpradio) #20

Yes, it is. I’ve noticed on Meta that the blue notification is clearing without the need to use the Mark as Read button (all types of notifications).

Your efforts are very appreciated.