Occasional blank screen using iPad iOS Chrome

(ljpp) #1

This bug has been:

• Reproduced by two different people at least
  • Two different devices (Air 1 @ iOS 9.2, Air 2 @ iOS 9.2.1
  • Reproduced at here at Meta and at Tappara.co, today. Tappara.co is on Beta 9.

How to reproduce:

Using Chrome browser: Open a long message thread. Move to bottom of the thread. Go back to index page by tapping the logo.

What is the issue:

Screen content is not drawn. Site seems to function in the background, as for example the unread counter is being updated. Content should re-appear when scrolling a bit.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Make sure you are using the newest version of Chrome. This isn’t a “real” browser on iOS, just a wrapper around either the old and stinky Web Mobile Safari view, or the new and excellent and native speed Web Mobile Safari view.

You want the new wrapper in Chrome 48 so make sure that’s the version you have.

(It’s still not really chrome, just a wrapper around Mobile Safari, but a much better one that will at least perform close to Mobile Safari rather than at 1/5th the JavaScript speed.)

(ljpp) #3

Yes, Chrome 48 is used.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I can get this quite easily on latest chrome, it still feels more glitchy than safari even after this upgrade.

The white screen appears to be happening cause of scroll position issues, we try for about one second to scroll and scroll again to the position of a post in a topic, but in chrome it is not taking, the white screen is actually chrome scrolled below the bottom of the page.

I am also noticing some positioning issues with header (notice the text above header)

No information initial scroll up
(Jeff Atwood) #5

Following up, @sam pinged some contacts at Google and they said a fix for this is being deployed to the App Store very soon.

(Trent) #6

I just posted about this here:

It’s closed now and reference to here. I did just have this issue in chrome iOS just searching in Google. Could well be a chrome issue and not a discourse one.

(Sam Saffron) #7

Closing this for 2 reasons.

1. I am pretty sure it is fixed now by Chrome or virtual dom (have not seen this in a while)
  2. It really is a Chrome bug.

(Sam Saffron) #8