Older iPads not loading discourse site

Two of the users on my private site have been getting blank pages after logging in using older iPads (one of them has iOS 10). This started a week ago.

I tried to send them to /safe-mode and I looked at the server logs, but I haven’t seen any errors.

I’m trying to see if I can hook up one of their iPads to a PC to see the developer tools console log, but I’m still working on it.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is it just time for them to get new iPads or is there a workaround?

6 Likes

I know for a fact that iOS 9 devices are no longer supported by Discourse. Not too sure about iOS 10, but maybe Discourse dropped support for those devices too?

1 Like

I can save you the trouble of getting to the console, I see the following errors in iOS 10:

SyntaxError: Unexpected token '...'. Expected a property name.
(anonymous function) @ application-50814733c04f8ebc652242787e747d0d8c7333058fe1ad62b489580ac3cd1c87.gz.js:1`

Error: Could not find module discourse-common/lib/raw-handlebars
(anonymous function) @ ember_jquery-36a2310….gz.js:1
require @ ember_jquery-36a2310….gz.js:1
global code @ discourse-data-explorer-d2dee49….gz.js:1

ReferenceError: Can't find variable: Discourse
global code @ start-discourse-efa4e5a….gz.js:1

Unfortunately I don’t have an answer beyond that, but someone else from the team might have a better idea of what’s going on.

8 Likes

Thanks, Kris. That’s very helpful. Did you see the error by opening the console via a Mac?

Let’s see what the team says.

@awesomerobot would it make sense to recategorize this as a bug?

1 Like

I have also now had three users report the same issue but not just on iPads. The first is on an older PC running Windows Vista. The second was on an older Mac (& iPad). I don’t have any details about the third user as yet. They all were able to access the forum prior to the recent update.

1 Like

The latest version of Mozilla Firefox available for Windows Vista seems to work with Discourse just fine since I last checked: Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/

As for the Mac user, what version of OS X are they running?

A recent Discourse update seems to have broken compatibility with the legacy version of Microsoft Edge.

1 Like

I will try to find out their current versions and will alert the Vista user to a potential work-around using Firefox. Thanks!

1 Like

No problem! If that version of Mozilla Firefox doesn’t work, you could have them try Mypal or K-Meleon.

2 Likes

Both iOS 10 and Windows Vista are unsupported now. We need to at least tweak our feature detection script to show the browser upgrade banner for those browsers.

We could also try to tweak the Babel config to transpile those, but I’m not sure if that’s feasible for much longer.

8 Likes

The third user is on XP. Still trying to find out what browser he is using.

2 Likes

Both issues in iOS < 11.3 and Firefox < 60 are due to our use of Object Literal Spread. We are looking into the possibility of transpiling this code and will update here shortly.

4 Likes

This commit should fix it:

8 Likes

What I said about Windows Vista also applies to Windows XP. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just tested on Firefox 52 ESR and it’s working now here on Meta :tada:

7 Likes

Wow! Nice! I thought you guys only provide support for the latest versions of browsers though?

1 Like

Unsupported browsers should get the yellow banner to update. This feature couldn’t easily be feature detected due to CSP constraints and was supposed to be already transpiled anyway since it’s still in the proposal stage, so we went ahead and fixed that.

6 Likes