One account doesn't get emailed for a watched category

(Alan) #1

I have a user on my local Discourse that set a category to “watching” a few months ago. Based on the logs she was getting email messages for every post in the category until October 11th. After that she hasn’t gotten any email messages for the category. She is still getting emails for private messages, and she still has the category set to “watching”.

I’ve checked Admin > Emails > Sent and Admin > Emails > Skipped, but her account doesn’t show up under either after October 11th. Her account isn’t deactivated, suspended, blocked, or staged. As far as I can tell her preferences shouldn’t be stopping her from getting emails for the category she’s “watching”.

I updated the server last night from the command-line, so it’s on 1.7.0.beta7. How can I tell why this user isn’t getting emails for this category she’s watching?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Have her try unwatching and then re-watching the category. I know @sam changed how this works internally a while back and that could be the issue if you were on an older version and then updated.

(Alan) #3

I’ve impersonated her, set the category to normal, and then set it back to watching a few times already. I’ve also tried removing the category from her watching preferences and adding it back. So far neither of those have fixed it.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

If you check a topic in that category, does it say watched in the topic notification control?

(Alan) #5

I impersonated her account again. I changed a topic in the problem category from normal to watching. When I came back to the topic later, the category and the topic were both still set to watching. I also checked the “Show watched topics” page, and the topic was listed there as well.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

What does Admin, Email, Logs show for attempted email notifications? Assuming this user was not active on the site, as email notifications would be suppressed by default for users active on the website at the time the notification occurs.

(Alan) #7

Under Admin > Emails I don’t have an option for Logs. I have to check Admins > Emails > Skipped to see notifications that were skipped because accounts were recently active on the site. Her account isn’t showing up on the skipped list.

I also checked the Sent and Skipped lists early this morning when some of our first messages went out. I hadn’t impersonated her account since the night before. She didn’t get notifications for those messages either.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I wonder, is your install messed up in some way? I can’t think of any reason this would be happening. Maybe sidekiq is not running, or something?

(Alan) #9

We have just over 600 users registered on the site. Most of them are watching this category, because we’re using the category in Discourse to replace a Mailman email list. As far as I can tell we only have one user reporting this problem.

I don’t know how to read the information on the /sidekiq pages. I assume it’s running, because messages to other users are getting delivered.

(Sam Saffron) #10

One second here, its this specific to one watched topic or all watched topics.

• Try creating a new topic
  • Then impersonate users, pick watching
  • Then log out of that user account
  • Wait 20 minutes
  • Reply to said topic

Does user get this email? If not perhaps stuff is bouncing and admin/email/bounced

(Alan) #11

She’s watching the category, so it applies to all topics in that category. She doesn’t get emails for new topics or for additional posts on existing topics.

She was getting emails for all posts in this category until October 11th. She hasn’t gotten any emails for this category since then.

She gets emails for private messages. Her bounce score is 0. She’s not listed under Admin > Email > Bounced. I’ve also tried deactivating her account and activating it again.