One-boxes no longer link to original topic in subfolder installs

(TechnoBear) #1

I’m posting this as a :bug: because I’m sure it’s a change in behaviour following a recent upgrade (related to the timeline changes), and it seems incorrect to me. If this is indeed the intended behaviour, then please make this a feature request.

Previously, if I linked to a post in another topic, a link to that topic appeared in the gutter beside my post and, IIRC, the one-box also linked to the post in question. A link back to my new topic would also appear beside the quoted post.

Now, if I link to a post in another topic, there is no link from the one-box (unless the link is to the first post) and no link below my post. A link back to the new topic does appear below the post linked to. So the problem is that there is no longer any way to visit the linked post. As we quite often want to link to similar issues in other topics, it’s a real loss of functionality for us.

The issue is related to this:

and as mentioned in that topic:

Spot the difference in those one-boxes. That’s bizarre, because in preview the second one was missing the link, which is what is happening on our forum since the upgrade.

While the link to the topic does appear in the topic summary drop-down, it’s neither practical nor intuitive to scroll back to the first post in order to follow a link made in post #30, for example.

(TechnoBear) #2

Hmm … it looks as if the issue is peculiar to us. I’ll move this to support. :blush:

Ninja’d.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Not following. The onebox shows a link to either first post with category, if the link is to the first post, or a link to the post. With summary in both cases.

The only recent change here is we no longer duplicate the outgoing link in the “gutter” which was moved underneath the post, as gutter is used for vertical timeline in 1.6.

(TechnoBear) #4

Except that on our forum, that is not what’s happening.

This post has two quotes from earlier in the topic, plus a link to a different topic.

There is no link in that onebox, and the link below the post is not to the linked post, but to a new topic where the member who made that post queried why the onebox wasn’t linked. (So incoming link, rather than outgoing link.)

(Mittineague) #5

I had a “no link to source” the other day

And again in a “heads up” message to @ralphm

The links do show in the expanded “topic details”

(TechnoBear) #6

Yes. That’s the only place they show.

(cpradio) #7

I wonder if this is related to a subfolder install. I’m struggling to recreate this, but it is easy to recreate on Sitepoint (super easy).

(Mittineague) #8

That was my thought too.

Though it seems that if that was part of the problem others would have noticed it and reported it here. Which makes me think it is likely a SitePoint specific bug. (maybe a 1.7.0 Beta 1 thing that has since been fixed?)

@jomaxro are you running a subfolder install?

Possibly related but probably not, I have noticed that the “First Onebox” Badge is granted for posts containing a link even though the link is not oneboxed.

EDIT
Hmmm, I just realized the problem oneboxes look like a “same topic” quote.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #9

I am indeed. That being said we use it as a knowledgebase not so much a discussion forum so there are no Oneboxes that I’m aware of.