Only 21 "likes" allowed in 24 hours?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #1

Maybe I’m over-using the “like” feature, but I seem to have hit a limit of 21 likes in 24 hours:

If likes here are supposed to be comparable to Facebook likes and Google +1s, should there even be a limit at all?

Favorite vs Like vs Bookmark
(Waleed Khan) #2

:thumbsup:

(don’t want to use up my like quota)

(Waleed Khan) #3

Did you actually use exactly 21 likes? The image says 21 hours, but nothing about likes.

(Marco Chomut) #4

I kind of like that they’re scarce. It’s probably part of the system to ensure that non-quality posts aren’t over-liked. Perhaps users with high reputation / trustworthiness should have a larger cap than new users?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #5

Likes are recorded on your profile page. If you look at my profile, you can see I’ve given 21.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #6

That makes sense, but then that brings up a secondary issue: I can’t UN-like a post after some (currently unknown-to-me) amount of time has passed and get any of my likes back.

(Jeremy Banks) #7

Not having any sort of rate limiting in your web application is an open invitation to abuse.
Rate Limiting and Velocity Checking by @codinghorror

If there wasn’t a limit I’m sure somebody would write a script to “like” every post on the forum within a few days.

Having a limit will cause likes to be more meaningful, because people won’t “spend” them quite as recklessly. But my intuition was to use them like votes on Reddit, Hacker News and other forums.

I’m tempted to suggest having two parallel voting systems, a higher-valued one with a low limit and a low-valued one with a very high limit, but I’m sure Jeff would wisely veto that as pointlessly complicated. If I had to pick, I would prefer a relatively lower limit so that more consideration is given to votes.

If 21 is indeed the limit for meta, that doesn’t feel too low to me. Of course, it will need to scale with the community size in some way.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #8

Fair points, but surely there must be a better solution than taking away the functionality from me entirely. Now I’m more apt to increase the level of noise, which the like button was specifically designed to supplant. What about reducing the restriction 20 likes in to 20 minutes? After a user has reached a limit on SO/SE, it doesn’t stop them from voting or commenting for a full day, does it? It just limits them to x actions in y minutes, right?

(Sam Saffron) #9

max_likes_per_day is a site setting and is at 20 per day at the moment. I think we could push the default up a bit, but it is @codinghorror’s call, he owns the defaults. If its allowing you to like 21 things, we have a bug.

If we allowed people unlimited likes, likes lose their meaning and are totally open to abuse. We rate limit all things. We are also going to rate limit this by user, so you can’t like 20 of a single users posts in a single day.

(drderp) #10

I don’t like the idea of splitting the voting systems unless you made them extremely distinct in some way; it makes it even more confusing. Maybe have it so that when a user hits the “like” limit, it flags a moderator, who then can either increase the number of likes the user can give or take an action? But then that requires work, so… Maybe making it directly proportionate to the number of posts the user has seen, since you really shouldn’t be liking more than half of the posts you see?

I agree, 21 hours for 21 likes in a few minutes(?) does seem a bit harsh.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #11

It was 21 likes in 3 hours. In 21 hours, my “day” will reset, and I’ll be able to like things again.

(drderp) #12

Ow, that’s not a lot.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #13

I counted and did indeed like 21 things. One thing I haven’t done yet is go through all of my “likes given” and make sure I do still really like all the things. (I played with unliking earlier, too.)

If likes are supposed to be limited, there needs to be some UI around it that informs the user. “You’ve used x of y likes. You’ll get more in n hours.”

(Jeremy Banks) #14

I definitely agree with this, particularly if the limit is low-ish. Before I read this thread I spent likes without too much consideration, not thinking that they might be limited. I would have been more thoughtful if I had known of the limit earlier.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

We could probably increase this to 30 no problem.

I’m not too keen on making likes proportional to some other thing, like # of posts read. That’s almost a recipe for “printing money”.

But 20 is probably too low. Part of the reason we put the limits in, is to see who hits them, and why, then adjust…

(Bill Ayakatubby) #16

Well the “why” part is easy. As implied in my original post, I considered them analogous to Facebook likes and Google +1s, and thus assumed they were unlimited. I think that will be a typical newbie assumption.

It’s not that I want to like every post made; I really don’t. But there are bound to be lots of posts I agree with, especially on a site like meta where features and such are being debated and multiple points of view are being presented. Then there are the fun posts that it’s so hard not to like…

(Bill Ayakatubby) #17

Out of curiosity, then, what are the limits for favorites and bookmarks?

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Not to be pedantic, but this is open source software and those settings are in the config files :smile:

(Andrew Brown) #19

Maybe after a ‘like’ goes through there could be some sort of way to visually confirm the number you have left? Like the number could float up and fade away with some sort of JavaScript animation.

Shouldn’t require an extra db call (though I haven’t checked the code to be sure…) and it makes the limit more discoverable.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

That’s cute, sounds like fun, which is what likes are about… and it would be informational too! I like it.

We had discussed having the heart beat faster the more likes a post has, of course that would be totally obnoxious :heart:

You could also do crazy stuff, like the longer you hold down the like, the more you like something… plugins! I gotta stop talking now! plugins!