Opening all links on a new page

(Blu McCormick) #1

I would like to open all links within the forum in a new page. Is that possible?

(Mittineague) #2

Go to
https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/interface
And check the input for “Open all external links in a new tab” that’s under Other.

(Blu McCormick) #3

Thanks so much. Is there any way to make that the default setting for people who join the forum (with the option to change that still available, of course)?

(cpradio) #4

Search Admin > Settings for “external links” (that setting will only take effect on accounts created after you change its value)

(Blu McCormick) #5

Thanks. I adjusted the User preferences and checked, “Open external links in a new tab by default.” Wouldn’t that just change the UI for me (admin) and not the rest of the accounts that are created in the future? Or does changing my UI as admin change UI for all accounts?

(Mittineague) #6

Generally, settings in the Admin pages are site-wide and settings under Profile Preferences are per user.

Note

Most if not all are not retroactive.

The setting name and descriptive text should make it clear as to what it does and the effect it has.

It might not be obvious by the “All”, but that setting is in “User Preferences” and the word “default” indicates the initial user preference value for accounts that are created while that setting is checked / unchecked.

(Blu McCormick) #7

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Where is the Setting for Opening a Hyperlink in a New Window
(Régis Hanol) #9