Opera (15+) fails to submit post or status changes

browser: Opera 28
platform: Ubuntu 14.10 64bit

This is a bit wondering me, because Opera uses the same underlying engines as Chromium, which does not show this issue. I suppose discourse uses feature detection and no browser switches?

When submitting a new post, the new post may appear in the current browser page (on the client), but when later browsing again to the same page, the post is missing (not sent to server?).

Similarly the “read” status on new posts is not persistent, and allready read posts are displayed again as unread.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Do you have any plugins installed? If so disable them all and try again.

I disabled all plugins (adblockforopera, chrome pdf viewer), and it persists.

I noticed the post is however transfered to server side and it shows in other browsers as draft (edit box), but not as posted.

Ok, but this one was posted in Opera.

This issue is persisting and annoying. Discourse does not function properly:

• The “read” status of notifications and posts does not sync to the server (although the post is marked as read in the current browser tab), and when I visit the forum again, it shows me the same notifications and posts again as unread.
• Even worse, when I post a reply, the reply is appended to the thread in the browser tab, but when I visit the forum again, the reply is missing. Instead, I find in the thread the editor with some autosaved text (often but not always the latest text).

This is annoying because it is:
a) data loss: Something I was certain it was posted and thus “saved” is not.
b) exclusion from the discussion: I don’t get replies to my reply, or the discussion continues in a different reaction without anybody noticing that I participated.

There must be something significantly going wrong with syncing or ajax requests. The console does not show any error messages. If an action doesn’t complete successfully, such exceptions should at least either be handled or logged.

I use neither extensions nor plugins because I prefer the pure web standards. This persists through many opera versions (now Opera 30, Ubuntu 15.04).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/43.0.2357.81 Safari/537.36 OPR/30.0.1835.59

Edit: Apparently this time the post was posted on meta.discourse.org, but posting regularly fails on forums.sketchup.com.