Optimal Write/Random Speeds for Dev SSD?

Knowing myself, I’ll probably end up getting a portable SSD setup. Not just for Discourse dev but to run Middleman locally as well.

I’m looking to use an adapter with this drive. I’m going for the 128 GB size that has the following specs: 550 MB/s sequential reads, 350 MB/s sequential writes, 90k random reads, 75k random writes.

The read speed looks optimal but unsure with the write speed, and perhaps the random speeds as well.

Just looking to see what numbers are optimal for a nice dev environment with a portable VM setup.

(Jens Maier) #2

While USB 3 has good throughput, the latency is still crap. If you consider sinking money into buying an SSD, don’t waste it and do attach the disk to a real SATA-3 (aka 6G or 600) controller.

Also, my shopping list for my next computer upgrade contains a Samsung Evo Pro 850 512GB.

While I would agree on average, it seems such a controller is almost 100 dollars Scratch that, seems I might have been looking in the wrong spot. Either way, will have to pool my resources! I am guessing a SSD/USB3 is better than a HHD/USB3; the latter my current HD available. Looking for something better than low-grade portable HHD in the meantime, and is scalable to a higher speed.

(Sam Saffron) #4

do you have esata? or thunderbolt or something ?

(Jens Maier) #5

Are you really using all the SATA controllers in your computer? I can’t even recall a time when I bought a mainboard without SATA ports on it…

By the way, good SATA-3 controllers for PCIe 1x slots cost less then 30€ (e.g. this thing from DeLOCK).

@sam, @elberet, I’ve got a motherboard that has a PCIe 1x slot I can add a controller to. I didn’t want to crack open my case but if I have to, I will.

My only worry is making sure my PC doesn’t get confused and instead serve this new drive as a secondary or slave.

My goal here is to set up a virtual box(es) solely for the SSD (for Discourse and Middleman on separate VMs) and ssh into it through localhost and putty.

Basically, I want to make it ‘feel’ like I’m ssh’ing into a remote VPS, but have the drive physically with me.

(Sam Saffron) #7

I would recommend the simplest solution which is just to crack open the box and add an SSD if you don’t need the portability. Your PC should not get confused here imo.

(Jens Maier) #8

SATA doesn’t have secondary or slave drives; that concept’s died out together with parallel ATA’s / IDE’s broad ribbon cables.

The only thing that could happen is that your PC will try to boot from the new harddisk which will fail since the disk contains no operating system loader; but that is easily fixed in the BIOS settings. (If your PC is using EFI, you’ll be fine, too, since EFI can find the proper boot device even if you move your existing harddisk to another SATA port.)

Alrighty, will do. Considering that I’m making Discourse et al a long-term investment, I probably should start higher than lower in tech.

Yeah, now you can probably tell the last time I delved deep into my computer’s guts, heh.

If I can change the boot load order in BIOS then I should be okay then. That was my biggest worry. Don’t know if I have EFI, so BIOS is my most-likely candidate.

(Sam Saffron) #11

you will never regret a faster setup, be sure to go VM directly vs vagrant when you set stuff up cause shared directory approach vagrant takes is lethal and horrible on windows.