Optional Link to Main Site?

(Ker Ruben Ramos) #1

Should there be an optional settings to show link to a Main Website?

For example, a button besides the profile on top-right which links to a Parent Website will show if some configuration setting is not empty.

Also, a plus would be having an optional icon setting for button. If not, uses a default icon.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some Discourse host that already had this feature. I just forgot the address though.

(Alejandro Petroff) #2

Yes, we’re facing the same problem. Forum is just forum for the main site and users ask us for a comfortable navigation between forum and main site.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Where would you have this link, care to create a visual mock.

Keep in mind you can do something like http://discuss.howtogeek.com/ with the current system.

(Alejandro Petroff) #4

mmmm… looks nice, it seems to solve the problem.

(Ker Ruben Ramos) #5

As one of the buttons. I’ve seen someone hosting a Discourse with such feature.

Regarding how-to-geek, too much size occupied.

(Sam Saffron) #6

I want to add support for “custom” menu items (like latest/new/unread) into core, as of now there is no such feature.

(Ker Ruben Ramos) #7

No hurry. I just shared it cause I see users complaining about not easily navigating through main.

Thanks

(Alejandro Petroff) #8

The idea is great also.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #9

Was just going to create a new feature topic on this.

I really hate it when people don’t have a link back to the main site, be it from a forum or a blog.

I think having this in the settings would be a good idea, and the link should be somewhere on the top header I would say.

(happycollision) #10

Is there any documentation anywhere about how Boing Boing and How to Geek added the header links back to their sites? I’d like to do it in a way that doesn’t screw up pulling changes from the repo.

(Michael John Kirk) #11

You can add arbitrary html/css to the top of every page using the customization feature in admin.

Just go to https://forums.yoursite.com/admin/customize

(Tobias Eigen) #12

Here’s a visual mock for how this might look. The house would link to the main site, and would appear if a URL is provided via an admin setting.

Thanks @AdamCapriola for suggesting.

(Adam Capriola) #13

I think some kind of home icon would be great as a configurable option. I’ve been pondering for a while how to best link back to my home page!

I don’t like giving up vertical real estate to add one key link. If you have a whole set of navigation links you want displayed, then yeah – add a menu on top – but otherwise I think it makes sense to have a simple home icon. Easy for anyone to turn on and off.

(I’m also awaiting the debut of the new side menu. Maybe that will be a good place for a home link.)

(Dean Taylor) #14

Personally I have added a combination of a “Home” link and deeper links into the main site to the Hamburger Menu, making them accessible to mobile users:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/adding-a-menu-item-to-the-hamburger-menu/24466?u=deanmarktaylor&source_topic_id=7537

It depends on your site as to how important getting back to the main site is.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Yes as mentioned earlier this a customization Bitnami made on their instance as well:

(Blu McCormick) #16

Hello, does anyone know what the latest is for the best way to have a way to navigate from the forum back to the mother website? A button or the website menu at the top . . . something like that? Thanks.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #17

There are multiple methods. You can add a custom header like these docs:

You could also add a link besides the search icon:

(Blu McCormick) #18

Thank you so much. That was most helpful. You made my day!

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #19

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.