Pending invites list is blank when there are existing invites

(Steve Pavlina) #1

I’ve noticed that when I try to look at the pending invites list or the redeemed invites list, Discourse shows the correct number of invites, but then below that line, it says there are no invites. The numbers look correct. But shouldn’t it list the pending and redeemed invites when I click on these?

I’m running v1.8.0.beta12 +88 (May 20th version).

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That’s odd, any thoughts here @techapj?

(Steve Pavlina) #3

Just to clarify, every invite in this case was sent individually by clicking “Send an Invite,” not by using the bulk upload tool.

I’m not using SSO.

This particular forum is private, not public.

The invites are definitely being sent and received, and people are joining just fine.

It would be helpful if I could actually see which invites haven’t yet been redeemed.

(Arpit Jalan) #4

Can you let me know the value of your site setting invites per page?

(Steve Pavlina) #5

It’s set to 0.

What does that setting actually do? I don’t want users to be able to send invites, so that’s why it’s set to zero. I want to limit invites to admins only.

There are a number of settings in Discourse that are confusing to understand in terms of what effect they’ll have.

Will raising this number fix the problem without allowing regular users to send invites?

(Arpit Jalan) #6

As per setting description “Default invites shown on the user page.”, it controls the number of invites that we show on user invites page. Setting it to 0 will hide all the invites. We recently raised minimum value for that setting to be 1, so it will not happen again.

I recommend reverting invites per page to its default value and that will fix this issue.

In that case you want to set max invites per day to 0.

We try to make setting description as clear as possible. Feel free to ask here on meta for further clarification or send a PR to improve setting description.

Yes.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

@techapj why do we even need a setting for number per page? Is it because there is no way to scroll down and see more?

(Steve Pavlina) #8

It would make more sense if the description was something like, “Default invites shown on the admin user invites page.”

Otherwise it sounds like this is a setting for regular user pages, such as on user profiles.

This does seem like a pointless setting to have at all, more confusing clutter than useful. If you want to customize the number of items listed on this page, consider using a more standard interface design approach like having little buttons or a drop down list box on the page itself to select the number of rows per page, like 20, 50, 100, and custom with an input box.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

No need for any row count display at all, just scroll down to load more like we do literally everywhere else.

(Arpit Jalan) #10

We need this setting to determine if more invites needs to be loaded on invite page, and it’s also used to set limit for the number of invites shown (loaded) on a page at a time.

I agree that it’s confusing for admins to understand what this setting is for, so I went ahead and made this a hidden site setting with default value of 40 invites per page (more will be loaded dynamically as user scrolls down). It can be tweaked from console if needed.