Pin-cleared topics should still have an icon

(Kane York) #1

After clearing a pin from a topic, I think that a greyed-out “cleared pin” icon should be shown - to visually show that although it’s not pinned for you, it’s still pinned globally, and offer the chance to re-pin it.

The icon should also show up in the topic list. In some communities, pinned topics still get action, and currently if you cleared the pin, it would show up in latest with no special indication that it is still pinned.

This would also solve the moderator confusion when they clear a pin that I’ve seen some discussion about.

I made a quick mockup in paint:

As you can see, I’m not that great at visual design, and merely okay at writing words with a touchscreen :wink:

This feels to me like a pretty clean solution to one of the ‘stickler’ problems that’s been hanging around.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That is a good idea, but I don’t think we need to make clicking the greyed out pin re-pin the post.

Edit: on second thought, wouldn’t this lead to “but it has a pin icon, why is it not behaving like a pinned topic” confusion? Hmm.

(Kane York) #3

That’s the reason why I put it upside down… hmmm…
Maybe a line through it?

If anyone’s got ideas, would be glad to hear it.

(Voxel Pirate) #4

Actually I have already un-pinned a topic by accident and was looking for a way to re-pin it. So I like the idea of having an option to re-pin a thread again.

The confusion should not be that big if the icon is greyed out and maybe has a dotted silhouette, no?

(Sam Saffron) #5

Completed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b9d4edd91a0f1c87a9227df58b04912e7471e925

helptext is also amended to avoid confusion. flipping pin is kind of crazytown, went with 45% rotation which seems to work fine.

(Sam Saffron) #8

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.