Pinned topics don't always stay at the top when new topics loaded

(Factor Mystic) #1

When a new topic is added while viewing the forum index, it’ll be visually inserted above pinned topics. Assuming this is a bug.

Clicking to refresh topics puts them above pinned topics
(Jeff Atwood) #2

That’s by design at the moment – it’s a temporary ordering based on new topics arriving.

Pinned is important, but it’s such a blunt force instrument, that appears at the top of the topic list all the time, I don’t think a temporary re-ordering based on new topics arriving is particularly harmful to the pin.

Pinned topic does not stay pinned consistently
(Factor Mystic) #3

The whole point of pinning on forums that used pinned topics is so they’re always at the top. Even temporary reordering undermines the intent of the design. I encourage you to reconsider.

(AstonJ) #4

I would agree. People are accustomed to pinned topics being pinned, and will find it a little disorientating or left thinking it’s a bug…

(jcolebrand) #5

If you’re going to do that then you need to segregate the pinned items at the top, and have a visual separation between the pinned items and the non-pinned items (where new items slot in). The issue here is that for discourses with a lot of pinned topics, it might be too far down the page to see new topics. That could be an issue.

I like the idea of new topics coming in above the pinned topics, giving me the freedom to see stuff that is fluttering in. If I want to see the pinned items, I need only refresh the page.

(Lowell Heddings) #6

Personally I would rather be able to dismiss pinned topics that I have already read. Why do I want to see the same “Read first: forum rules” sticky for six months of reading a forum?

(AstonJ) #7

I think it’s what the Admin of a site wants vs what the user wants. On my forums we usually stick to no more than one or two stickies per section. The option to allow users to dismiss pinned topics would be cool - but set on a per thread basis (there are some you -as an admin- might not want dismissed).

(Lowell Heddings) #8

Yeah I get that.

I am saying, sticky posts are annoying to see day in and day out. I would rather make them go away once I have read them.

Personally I like the new posts appearing above the stickies. At that point I have probably read the stickies before and I am camped out on the home page waiting for new posts. The new posts are more important than the sticky I already read, and thus should appear at the top.

(AstonJ) #9

Yeah I hate nothing more than forums with 5+ stickies per section, saw one a few weeks back with over half the threads in the section stickies! ugh

I think they’d be fine at the top tho tbh, so long as there was some sort of visual indicator they are pinned topics and not normal threads.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

That’s a really amazingly good idea. Pinned would then mean “pinned until the user reads it” which would be … awesome. I’m adding this to our todo list.

(Lowell Heddings) #11

I think you would need two types of pins.

For instance, on dev we had some todo stickies that needed to stay there. But for forum rule type of posts, they should die quickly and painfully after being read.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I think if the clearing of the pin is a manual user action, like they literally click an “OK, clear this pin, I read it”, it becomes a great lightweight notify system.

And for posts that have to stay on top, for dev bug lists or whatever… well the devs need to have the discipline not to click the big read “OK, clear this pin” button, yes?

(AstonJ) #13

There are some pinned topics (rules for a section?) that might need to be constant. It will vary depending on the section, and sometimes what the admin wants or community needs.

For example the needs of a gaming forum will be very different to the needs of a forum targeted at the over 50s. So I’d make it an admin option on thread creation; user can dismiss pin - yes/no.

(Lowell Heddings) #14

You’re right, manually dismissing the pins works in either scenario. I was thinking of automatic pin removal once you’ve read them, but I think making it manual will be less confusing for users.

Just to continue down the rabbit hole…

Why do only moderators get to pin topics? Why can’t users pin them for themselves only?

What if I, as a user, want to pin a topic to the top of the forum list? Just like when you Star something in Gmail with the Priority Inbox view. (personally I probably wouldn’t do this, but it’s just for argument’s sake.)

Minimal Discourse
(TheOnly92) #15

I believe you have favorites for that.

(Lowell Heddings) #16

Yeah, but favorites are all the way in their own section. What if I want to see it right there in the list?

(Just arguing for the sake of railing against normal forum rules. I don’t particularly want to pin topics myself)

(jcolebrand) #17

Just make sure that the pin comes back if it gets updated?

(Jeff Atwood) #18

OK now you’re just talking crazy talk.

(Jeff Atwood) #19

Ah, that’s a great point – edits to the first post (probably, I doubt we want this for all posts) make the sticky come back alive.

Pinned topics: they’re like EULAs you’ll ENJOY reading!

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/does-anyone-actually-read-software-eulas.html

Ok maybe not.

(Brad Westness) #20

Maybe force people to scroll all the way to the bottom of the sticky thread and then enable the hide button? And then double-confirm it? /joking