PM with many users hides Topic input field

(Sam Bauch) #1

In composing a PM to four users, the topic input field disappeared for me when the ‘chips’ took up two lines:

Even if I grew the heigh of the composer window, the growth came in the main text box, and no more vertical space opened up above for the subject line to fit.

Just for sanity’s sake, here’s a screenshot from meta as well, with a much taller composer:

Also- do you prefer this here or as a Github issue?

Small feature when adding people in a personal message, perhaps not only there
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Here is fine, let me try to repro it – yep, I can repro. @sam this field can be much much wider here for the PM space as a quick workaround. We’re never going to have categories on a PM. Can you make it so?

(Sam Saffron) #3

I added some width there. but a more complex fix involving a re-org of the html should be done/

(Sam Bauch) #4

yup fine as a quick fix, but I think ideally the height of the main composer window shrinks to fit the recipient and subject fields?

(Sam Saffron) #5

yeah, the elements need to be shuffled a bit in the html

(Sam Bauch) #6

I was still having issues with this, but a quick css customization did the trick:

#reply-control.edit-title.private-message .wmd-controls {
  top: 0px !important;
  height: 300px !important;
  width: 90% !important;
  position: relative !important;
  left: 0px !important; }

Would still like to see a little bit of html shuffling though

(Jeff Atwood) #7

ok @sam why don’t you get to shuffling?

Discourse Version 1.6
(Sam Saffron) #8

@awesomerobot many many moons later this still is an issue.

I tried to pull my … I can just fix this in 5 minutes … hack but it will not do here.

The fundamental issue is that the composer where the text is entered is positionend absolutely.

Can you think of structure changes that could resolve this issue?

(Kris) #9

That is definitely the issue. I’m not sure that it’s easily fixable either… the great functionality of pulling up the editor window and getting a larger textarea relies on it. I think we’d have to use javascript to detect how tall the composer window is and set height values; that’s what Google does in the gmail popup-editor, but they don’t let you drag to resize - it’s just a heavily-limited value determined by viewport height (not a great solution: takes a second to adjust on resize, etc).

It might make more sense to add some complexity to the name editor? So, still looking at gmail… what if the user list expands on click and then truncates when out of focus…

You’d need some JS to figure out how tall the name list needs to be and then add that to the top value of #reply-control .wmd-controls - but that seems like a much smaller task than constantly using JS to adjust the composer window whenever it’s resized…

(Jeff Atwood) #10

I think this is something @tgxworld will be working on soon.

(Alan Tan) #11

PR Submitted, I’ll still have to write a bunch of test cases but I’ll leave that for tomorrow.

http://imgur.com/ifKWoyR
http://imgur.com/dYR846J

Private messages with multiple users obstructs title bar
Visual bug on PM
(Alan Tan) #12

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.