PMs are enabled just for TL4. But others are able to message anyone they want by inviting folks to an existing PM

I’m guessing this is a bug.

Initially PM’s were enabled for everyone.

Later we made it available only for TL4 users.

At this time, people who already have existing PMs in their inbox, they are still able to message those folks (which is fine for me) - because, I know that -> we cannot call this as creating a new PM. They are just replying on existing PMs.

But, some folks found a hack for this - > When they want to PM anyone, they are just opening an existing PM, and then inviting folks there and PM’ing them there. Bottom line - > Even if PM’s are enabled just for TL4 users, if a TL0 TL1 TL2 or TL3 user had an existing PM in his inbox, he can go about and PM anyone that he likes (by simply inviting anyone in that PM)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This is not correct, you must be TL2+ to send invites. So this does not apply to TL0, TL1 users.

But that does sound like a valid bug for TL2+ users. @techapj maybe add it to your list?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

In the meantime you can disable invites to stop this from happening, or set allowed daily invites to 0.

(Arpit Jalan) #4

Fixed via:

There was another issue: If private messages were disabled, normal users were not able to send invites to public topic. That is now fixed as well.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.