PNG images with hidden backgrounds converted to white JPG on upload

(Jay Pfaffman) #1

I’ve got a PNG logo that I’m trying to upload. It’s got whatever-you-call-it when there’s a transparent background. I tried uploading through the wizard thinking that might make a difference, but it didn’t.

When it gets uploaded, it’s converted to a JPG that’s just a white block.

I just upgraded to 614b1c8e68f1098d8f1d0c9ef9856bc1dc4c6e9b. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t’ have this problem on a site that I was working on yesterday.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I don’t recall any changes to this code path recently, so it seems unlikely that it is a regression.

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Well, bizarre. On the other site, this PNG uploads as a JPG, but the other PNG that I was uploading yesterday uploads as a PNG.

This image is PNG image data, 2754 x 625, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced. Is there some reason that it should get converted to a JPG?

Edit: Well, scaling the image to 1375x312 made it not convert to JPG.

I think I had this happen once. If I remember correctly, I re-uploaded the PNG it and it uploaded correctly the second time around. Not sure what the underlying cause would be for the inconsistency, but it definitely shouldn’t be happening. Have you tried uploading it multiple times?