Polish translation: English phrases instead unclear system messages?

(Piotr Z Marek) #1

Hello,

I would like to start using Discourse in Polish. Unfortunately translation is not yet complete. However, a lot of stuff is already translated and it’s enough for me.

The problem is that untranslated parts of the text are displayed in a very strange way. Instead of the „Register” discourse displays „[pl_PL.sign_up]". And instead of „login” users see „[pl_PL.login.title]", etc.

The question is. Can Discourse display untranslated passages of text in English? This will allow me to use the Discourse before the translation is complete.

Piotr Lisowski

(Anton) #2

If you speak English, I’d recommend to switch the whole GUI to English until Polish translation is finished.
You can also donate your time and effort by participating in translating to Polish, which will benefit everyone.
It is not too hard - just around 2k strings to translate.

What Discourse displays is the translation key. By this key Discourse looks for the translation from the YAML file, which is generated automatically by the Transifex website. It’s exactly there where you would translate strings, one by one. Then the Discourse team updates Discourse with updated translations approximately once per week - it usually happens every Friday.

(Marcin Rataj) #3

@piotrek_lisowsk At this moment Polish localization project at Transifex is at 70%. There are 758 strings left to translate.

If you have spare time, we could join forces and reach 100% soon.

(Piotr Z Marek) #4

I’d love to help, but I have no experience in this type of projects.
This is my account on Transifex: panjan’s public profile
What should I do, just start translating?

(Marcin Rataj) #5

It is quite easy actually. I’ll try to describe the process I use.
My priority is to translate user-facing labels first, so I focus on client (client.*.yml) strings:

1. Enable Polish language at your Discourse instance and start browsing it.
  2. When you find missing translation such as [pl_PL.categories.topics] copy its key name (categories.topics)
  3. Go to this Transifex page, click client.en.yml.
  4. A Pop-up will open, click Translate now.
  5. Translation interface should load and be ready for use.
  6. You can just start translating, but usually you don’t know the context, or just do not care that much about super-rare message and want to fix a specific label.
    That is why I search for strings with the Key: selector:
  • On top left you have a search box. Click there.
  • A handy pop-up with additional search criteria will show up.
  • Select Key: paste categories.topics and hit [Enter]
  • You should see that one result is found and it is already translated as Tematy

And that is all.

Currently I repeat #6 for every missing label I see in my instance. I already filled most of irritating gaps, so it should be quite usable even at this stage.

If you want to fetch latest translation of client.en.yml there is Download for use link in the pop-up mentioned in step #4. Or just wait for upstream Discourse update.

Hope this helps.

Translating Discourse with Transifex
Fixing missing translation
(Jeff Atwood) #6

This is great can I add this to the bottom of our blog post about Transifex?

edit: done!

(Marcin Rataj) #7

Sure!
I think this is a good way to bootstrap any translation if one has limited time / resources.

(Piotr Z Marek) #8

Thanks! I’m starting :slight_smile:

(Piotr Z Marek) #9

I see that you’ve done a lot of work! Thank you!

I was browsing unfinished translation and I’m not sure what to do with “notifications.granted_badge”, “notifications.edited” and “notifications.liked”. Any ideas?

(Marcin Rataj) #10

I think the point of these labels was to translate tooltips defined in title="(...)". I bootstraped them with my guesstimates (polish grammar is a bit more complicated here). We will have to see them in the wild to determine if the form is right.

BTW: I’ve found a template for “welcome message” that every new user receives just after registration: system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template – it has over 500 words! :smiley:

But that’s something for tomorrow – it is ~3AM here.

(Marcin Rataj) #11

I just updated my instance to 1.0 and polish version is quite usable now.
We still have a lot of work, but most of user-facing labels are translated.
I’ll try to iron some of the kinks in next weeks, continuing work toward 100% coverage.

(Piotr Z Marek) #12

I can’t find in client.en.yml keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.show_incoming_updated, keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.dismiss_new_posts and keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.dismiss_topics

They appear when you press shift+?.

(cpradio) #13

Make sure you have latest, these are currently getting merged.

Also it should be mentioned that keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.show_incoming_updated is a mistake and the next merge will correct it. It should have been keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.show_incoming_updated_topics

(Marcin Rataj) #14

Ok, so we need to wait for these symbols to be present at Transifex.
Is client.en.yml uploaded there manually, or is there a batch job that runs daily?

(cpradio) #15

I have no idea how it gets to transifex, but I have verified it is in the master branch.

(Piotr Z Marek) #16

Can anyone help us and upgrade translation file on Transifex? Currently it is impossible to translate the following keys:

keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.show_incoming_updated_topics
keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.dismiss_new_posts
keyboard_shortcuts_help.application.dismiss_topics

(Marcin Rataj) #17

@piotrek_lisowsk Polish translation got updated with Transifex changes:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/93d9fe04976d1b794c2b8b7697b1030178f161d9